Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 2006 KVF-360 Prairie, my carb is 34mm and beyond repair. I need to get a new one but, all I can find are 32mm.
Will the 32mm work? Will the existing rubbers work? Thanks for the help!

·
Super Moderator
12,553 Posts
Is this a 32mm carb for a 360?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that is what the several listings indicate. I am concerned with the fitment since the OD, where the boots attach will be smaller.
Not really concerned about top end speed since it is used to carry boar / deer out of the woods.
I cannot post links here yet but, hit up ebay search for "prairie 360 carburetor" and look at the one for $59.94 with the 32mm measurement on the listing pic. The service manual specifies a 34mm. Thanks for the help..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like no-one has any experience with putting the smaller carb on this. Against my better judgement, I ordered a 15003-1686 to replace the larger 34mm carb. Also shrink tape and gasket material just in case. However, I plan to hit the auto parts store and hopefully find two pieces of hose that will fit over each end of the smaller carb. Therefore adapting the smaller carb i/o's to the air cleaner duct and carb holder boots. Guess I will see.
This Prairie only has 75 hours on it so, hope it runs as good as it did.

Since the fuel petcock is a shafted version and all I can find are lever types (outside of dealer mega prices) and I could not get any feedback here on whether the lever type would fit properly, I got some measurements of one from a guy on ebay and am glad I did not buy one. Seems like it would hit and rub the frame on this 2006 . So,I pulled apart the original, cut a new gasket and it is no longer leaking however, the On and Reserve tubes have damage so, I will need to find those measurements as well so I can braze on some new ones if possible or just leave them as is. I did add a nice big filter between the tank and carb though.

I will share the results here.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
What's wrong with the OEM carb that it cannot be cleaned properly and reused ? Was it in a fire, or under water ?

·
Super Moderator
4,462 Posts
What's wrong with the OEM carb that it cannot be cleaned properly and reused ? Was it in a fire, or under water ?
Yeah..and if so, you mean there is just none out there...anywhere to be found? There was so many 360s made...Looks like you can still buy a new carb..but at $480.00 that's probably more then the machine's worth. Guess if I just had to keep it I would try something else too.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Used Prairie 360 carbs on eBay for $125.00 .

·
Registered
3,391 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll try to answer all responses here. When it rains it pours which, is GREAT!

Nope, don't want something for 125 bucks that may need to be rebuilt anyhow. I have purchased used carbs from ebay for my motorcycles before and never had a single one that did not need more money dropped into it. After ~20 years of attempts, I have had no luck buying used carbs (for anything) that had no issues so, my lesson has been learned. Murphy is not my friend.

I really don't get why there are so many 32mm aftermarkets out there but no 34mm if they were so abundant. If there is a 34mm aftermarket out there, with proper choke connection etc, a link would be appreciated but, I can't find one.

There are in fact lots of carbs on ebay and elsewhere but, they are 32mm. I have been searching ebay for two weeks for a 34mm carb for the 2006 Prairie and no luck unless OEM and nearly 500 bucks. I would part it out or sell it before dropping that kind of cash into it.

Figure after battery, carb, air filter, oil & filter and so on, YES, prob getting near what the thing is worth.

The original carb sat for 4 years. I have only rebuilt maybe three dozen carbs in my life, mostly off of bikes that have 4 carbs or family cars but, I have never seen one this oxidized and pitted inside. Removing a jet, disintegrated so, must have been run through salt water (live near the Gulf). Once dead, left untouched. Seemingly, they rinsed the Prairie off thoroughly because there is no rust or electrical issues/corrosion on connectors, so far, and it actually looks pretty good. Must have sucked in a bunch of salt water though.

Thanks for all the input but, has anyone actually fitted and ran a 32mm on the 2006? I will try. Hopefully with success so, we will know how to get one of these with a toasted carb up and running on a shoe string budget.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts