Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, new to the forum and kind of lost with what's happening. My brother swamped the ATV about 2 years ago. Said he changed all fluids and plugs. It's been sitting since and I figured I would try going for a ride. Well it doesn't run the greatest now! I bought a carb rebuild kit and am going to do that install but I've also ran into major fouling in the spark plugs. I'll add a picture to show what I mean. I've heard that I should run some seafoam through it first to get it running smooth again and then do the rebuild. But with the fouling I have found in the spark plugs I'm thinking there may more to it than just cleaning the carb. If I could get some opinions that would be great! Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Vendor
207 Posts
Hi there, new to the forum and kind of lost with what's happening. My brother swamped the ATV about 2 years ago. Said he changed all fluids and plugs. It's been sitting since and I figured I would try going for a ride. Well it doesn't run the greatest now! I bought a carb rebuild kit and am going to do that install but I've also ran into major fouling in the spark plugs. I'll add a picture to show what I mean. I've heard that I should run some seafoam through it first to get it running smooth again and then do the rebuild. But with the fouling I have found in the spark plugs I'm thinking there may more to it than just cleaning the carb. If I could get some opinions that would be great! Thanks again.
Is that dirt or small metal shavings at the end of the spark plug? I couldn't tell in the picture. I would change the oil install the carb rebuild kit. Drain the old fuel out of it and install fresh fuel. Install new spark plugs. See how it runs then. You can also do a compression test. If you have any questions, we will be glad to help. www.nflowmotorsports.com

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Looks like moisture has been in there for a long time - Good luck with that. I'd check the oil for signs of water or anti freeze coolant. If that looks good, then check cylinder compression - I think compression should be around 36 - 66 psi.

·
Registered
531 Posts
dont the 650's have iron sleeves? if you want to save it, do what nflow suggested but personally i'd get ahold of one of those digital camera bore scopes and see whats the gig down in the cyls. need to look at the crown and walls.

·
Super Moderator
12,641 Posts
That looks like severe oil fouling. Has it been run much since it was drowned? Is it smoking or taking oil?
I would just give the carbs a good (professional) cleaning; aftermarket carb kits are hit-and-miss, and it's likely you don't need any parts anyway.

·
Premium Member
10,241 Posts
Just do it right and tear the whole motor down. Clean and/or replace whatever is necessary to get it back to running condition. I wouldn't even want to turn that motor over by hand with that much junk inside. I can almost guarantee the cylinders /sleeves are rusted because it sat so long with moisture in it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all, it has ran and all fluids have been changed since it got swamped. It is not metal shavings, but small mineral deposits, almost like salt, built up on the plugs. Took the carb apart gave it a good cleaning. What a mess that was! But now it seems to be running way better than before. The oil has been changed and new gas as well. Runs much better than I ever remember it. Thanks for your help!

·
Super Moderator
12,641 Posts
Consider yourself very lucky.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts