Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everyone... I have been having problems with my Kawasaki 650. It is carburetted. I originally got it a few months ago. It has always had a cold start problem and didn't want to fire until cranking and working the throttle a few times. I heard it was a simple valve adjustment. So I adjusted the valves at .005 intake and .008 exhaust. After doing that it would not fire at all not even with starting fluid. I finally managed to get it to start and run but it is sluggish and not as snappy as it was. It only tops out at about 30mph. I have cleaned the carbs thoroughly thinking I've might of got dirt in there while doing the valve. I have rechecked everything about 3-4 times. The only thing I haven't done is a carb sync. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Check over your work; you've got something screwed up.
Did you find you had to make any large valve adjustments, and are the valves noisy now?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No valves aren't making any noises. I've checked the clearances again tonight just to be sure. They were dead on. And I've checked to make sure I'm not 180 out while resetting the valves.

·
Registered
430 Posts
When you had your carbs apart to clean them, did you remove all the jets in the carbs? If you did, you might have installed the main jets in the wrong carbs. I don't know what size jets are in the 650 but the smaller one goes in the front carb, bigger in the back. Also, how many miles on your bike? May be bad valves since this all started with a valve lash adjustment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I very well could have the Jets mixed up. I had them separated when I took them apart but they kinda got mixed up on the install. Wasn't sure if they would be different sizes or not so just hoped for the best. There's only about 400hrs on the bike or 2000 miles according to the ODO. Thanks for the input. I'll take a further look into it tomorrow.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
When you had your carbs apart to clean them, did you remove all the jets in the carbs? If you did, you might have installed the main jets in the wrong carbs. I don't know what size jets are in the 650 but the smaller one goes in the front carb, bigger in the back. Also, how many miles on your bike? May be bad valves since this all started with a valve lash adjustment.
He cleaned the carbs after setting the valves and discovering that it had lost power.
Come to think of it, Wsivik89, did you put the air box, filter and lid back on? It won't run right without it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I put airbox on all the way to take it for a test spin and noticed loss of power. It did seem to idle fine and rev up fine sitting in the shop. I've checked the throttle stop screw and throttle cable as well.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I reread the post and see what you are talking about Novakaw650. Carbs were worked on after it had lost power so not a carb issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So while adjusting the valves I did have the air box off and carbs exposed. So after I set the valves it wouldn't run right. My thinking was I got some dirt in the carbs so took them apart to clean them. Got the bike running just running sluggish. I checked the valves again last night they gapped a little loose but still made contact with feeler gauge

·
Registered
430 Posts
When you cleaned your carbs, was there any dirt in them? If it was me, I'd pull the carbs and clean and rebuild them again making sure I had the correct jets in the correct carbs. Recheck your valve lash making sure you are gapping the proper valves with the proper feeler gauge size set at TDC for each cylinder. You got something put back together wrong Wsivik89!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts