Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, was on here before asking about the 08 brute force 750 that i can buy that starts and runs fine but sputters and bogs after around 15 mph (guy said it sat around for a few years and started doing after that). Im going to look at it tonight and hope that its a fuel pump. Does $2200 seem like a decent price for a risk that its just the fuel pump? Its a clean 2 owner machine with 1800 miles on it?

Is there anything else i should look for on the machine that can be signs of problems or future problems, This will be my first ATV so i dont know alot about them but have been working on cars for many years so im pretty mechanicaly inclined, just not tearing down and rebuilding motors.

·
Super Moderator
4,511 Posts
IMO..look for an 09 or newer. Too many issues with the 08's and their fuel pumps/systems, EFIs and ECUs beint the first year of EFI for Kawasaki. A few have had good luck but not everyone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks heads up, the 2009s around here are around $2,000 more (4000-4500). Do you think its worth spending that or taking the gable? Im at a loss what to do, this older guy just wants to move this one i think as he bought a side by side.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, so i looked at it for the hell of it. They guy said it wasnt running then took it to a neighbors who works on atvs, he messed with the rollover sensor and got it running, then a few days later it started to miss and backfire after 20 mph. He said more often than not now it misses and backfires after 20 mph, but sometimes it runs just fine. When i test drove it it ran good but where he lives i couldnt get it much over 20. Does this sound like a fuel issue or some electrical issue. I think im going to stay away like your saying just curious what you guys think. I think i could buy it for 2000, otherwise he said hes going to trade it in. Also he said when its missing if you flick the kill switch quick it will start to run good again. He also replaced the flywheel and starter as some teeth got broken off the flywheel in the past. Thanks for all your help, the search continues it sound like.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Did he replace the starter gear (flywheel) with a 2012 or newer flywheel? If not, he wasted his money as the 2012 and up flywheels are much thicker and tougher than the earlier years, and can take the extra abuse if you add a Dynatech CDI and FI controllers to the mix. I don't have any experience with the EFI Brutes but from what the others have said and what I have read, they are not the Brute to get as it was the first EFI Brute Kawi released. Whether to buy it or not and take the risk is up to you. If you like to troubleshoot and tinker (and spend some money on parts) I'd say go for it. If you want turnkey reliability, probably not the machine for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts