Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the story go’s:

New to me 08 BF650, brought it home running rough after previous owner had it sitting. It would run fine with some choke but with no choke it would hesitate when first getting on the throttle. Did a ton of reading up and figured best place to start was cleaning the carbs up.

Drained the gas, put in ethonal Free and sea foam. pulled the carbs, cleaned everything with carb cleaner, small wire and a tooth brush and let it sit overnight. While I had it apart I figured I’d set all the valve adjustments so I did that as well. Put everything back together this morning and fired it up. It started really easy and I had to cut the choke off almost imediatly (which I assumed was good). Idled a little rough at first but I just turned up the thumbscrew and it evened out. Started doing laps around the yard and noticed I was getting quite a bit of smoke and then when I came to a stop the bike will no longer idle.

Where I’m at now:

-The idle adjustment is now all the way up
-The bike dies with any choke
-light smoke thruout the throttle range (this is new after I took it apart)
-Hesitation is gone, seems to run well everywhere but idle.

I’m defiantly a shade tree mechanic, read a lot of forums and YouTube before I do something. Based on what’s happening I believe the bike is somehow running rich but that’s just a guess. The smoke seems to have a fuel smell to it and the choke kills the bike immediately.

My concern is that I assembled something wrong with the carbs. I don’t have much experience with them and could have made a very simple mistake. I don’t know if I screwed something up with the diaphragms or installing the choke cables. Looking for any general carb re-assembly mistakes I could of made.

·
Super Moderator
4,511 Posts
Aside from starting over, one thing that happens a lot is the choke plungers...they stop sealing the port or the cables get twisted in install or rusted and won't let them return to seal that port...or there is some trash in the bore making one or both stick. If leaking it has some choke all the time. So, first take a look and see if the cables somehow got twisted, then check the lever to see if it works smoothly with very little play when closed. Enough to notice, like more then a 1/16" may indicate they are partly open or out of adjustment. Pull both plungers, clean all with spray carb cleaner and the bores. After that I would look at float levels. The manual will be necessary.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So forgive my need for specifics, you are referring to the two little brass pins that have springs attached to the choke mechanism? Were they supposed to be aligned any certain way? I just stuck them back in and put the screws in. I took them totally out of the little brackets they were in so good chance they rotated or moved.

·
Super Moderator
12,576 Posts
You just stick the chokes back in.
Could you have left a jet loose/out or in the wrong position?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was carefully to keep the jets with the right carb when I took them out and after cleaning I just threaded them back in and snugged them. Is it possible I messed up the diaphrams by putting carb cleaner on them or sticking a wire somewhere I shouldn’t of?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So after more searching I found some issue some people have had with the choke cables sticking so I tried disconnecting both chokes at the carb. Again the machine fired up immediatly with no choke and this time ran and a very high rpm with nothing I could adjust would slow it down. My thought is perhaps more air Is getting in and mixing with my overfueling condition.

Another thing to add is when I reinstalled the carbs I switched the petcock to prime, and back to on when it started. Hasn’t anyone had those leak by or fail?

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Sounds like you need to open the carbs back up.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hmm, how many hours on your Brute? Is the smoke "blue" smoke, and has a burned oil stink? Since you this is new to you I would run a compression check on both cylinders for a known good base line.
It is a shame that replacement carbs for the Vtwin Kawies are so expensive. I had all kind of carb issue with my son's Yama Kodiak 400; mostly because of someones ham fisted work on it before. I replaced the carb for $30 bux, and even though it is Chinese knockoff it has run 100% since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts