Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are you to check the oil level. The book that I got tells me to stand it on it's back bumper and check the oil level in the sight glass. The problem is all the oil came out the engine breather and pluged the filter. It lost like 1/2 a liter/quart or more. I found this out when I went to start it and it would not start only back fire.When I checked the airbox it was all oiley and the filter is messed up and I have to get a new one of those. Has anyone had that problem and or how to fix it .
Thanks

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
How are you to check the oil level. The book that I got tells me to stand it on it's back bumper and check the oil level in the sight glass. The problem is all the oil came out the engine breather and pluged the filter. It lost like 1/2 a liter/quart or more. I found this out when I went to start it and it would not start only back fire.When I checked the airbox it was all oiley and the filter is messed up and I have to get a new one of those. Has anyone had that problem and or how to fix it .
Thanks
never heard of that before on its back bumper check again but on 4 wheels

·
Premium Member
11,525 Posts
Wow!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks
hey hopperz its hillbilly racer when i fill my oil i fill it to the top of the sight glass then tilt the bike to the left to see the oil move in the sight glass you will probably have to pull your plug and change it

·
Registered
27 Posts
Remember there is a Japanese to English translation here...

Seems like I read it that way too... but shrugged it off as if "I" had mixed up horizontal and vertical.

Bottom line dude is to just go with the measurements provided in the manual. When I drain both bolts and pull the filter, I measure and pour in 1.25 quarts... 40 oz... (of oil... not Olde English :D)

·
Registered
379 Posts
upsidedown

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

anewwaytooiltheairfilter

ifyourengineisinstalledupsidedown

anewwaytochecktheoil

ifyourkawasakiisachainsaw?

sorrybuti'mstilllmao

wearareallygoodhelmetand
becarefulridingthismachineantakeitsloooooooooooooow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
27 Posts
This crap is honestly in the Factory Service Manual... lol :blush:

It says right there...

Vertical
Perpendicular

·
Registered
27 Posts
Funny stuff....

Step #3

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't complain though...

My Polaris is similar but as an even more complicated process.

It must be....

-Stripped Naked
-Tipped on Nose
-Wheels turned Right

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
If that is what you have to do that sucks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nah... we are just having fun here... at the expense of Kawi.

It's just a bad translation in the Factory Service Manual.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Sounds like the Barack Obama Administration got a hold of that manuel!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I talked to them at Kawi Canada and they said that I would have to be stupid to do it that way and they will not take any resposability for any damages that may have happend to the bike from checking the oil the way it said.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I talked to them at Kawi Canada and they said that I would have to be stupid to do it that way and they will not take any resposability for any damages that may have happend to the bike from checking the oil the way it said.
They need to fix their factory service manual though.

Like I said though, I just drain both drains, pull the filter, and measure 40 oz of oil to put back in (1.25 qts).

If you Canadians are on the metric system, 1.2 L or 1200 mL.

Checking the oil level in the sight glass just is not very reliable.
How it reads depends on where the oil circulation is when the engine shuts off.

The engine has a bulkhead/divider hump between the crank and trans.... which is the reason for the two drain plugs.... which affects how much oil is in the area, and I think there is something else too.

I've seen no oil show in the sight glass, and I have seen it completely full.
You can see this while running, and you can see it when shut off too.
So I just measure it... and it shouldn't stay in long enough to get low.

·
Registered
402 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts