Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 650 about a week ago brand new.
Tuning is definately off.
It spits and sputters out the air box and the power off idle sucks.
I pulled the fuel plugs and adjusted on those jets till I got maximum idle, front is a little different than rear, and got it a ton better, the popping out the airbox is gone, and she jumps pretty good off idle but it still not to 100% to around 1/4 throttle, so I think I should shim the needles or up the pilot jets or both ?
Do these carbs have an accelerator pump ? and should I check that.

The rear shock was awful saggy, I got a lift kit for it and installed the rear and preloaded the shock all the way, much better, I installed the front but it whacks the camber way out so I didnt leave the front lift on, to me it looks great with just the rear lifted, cause it looked lower in the rear than it did on the front, now its just slightly higher in the rear which will be even with me on it.

anybody want these front lift blocks ?

So back to the help on carb tuning ?

·
Registered
184 Posts
pm sent
With a stock bike those fuel screws should be 2 turns out and put about .030 shims under the needles. This is what I've found to fix those brand new bike that just don't run right.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
i bought a left over 08 650 sra in april of 09. it ran much better after i shimmed the needles. i left the air screws at two turns after that.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
hey kawi pilot, where did you get your rear lift block for the shock. mine has a little sag to it too. is it close to being level with the block installed? thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey kawi pilot, where did you get your rear lift block for the shock. mine has a little sag to it too. is it close to being level with the block installed? thanks
If you just want level you could get way with preloading the shock
I wanted it a little higher so I went with a the lift and preloading, it has a much better stance now.
you can get the lift here

NEW ATV LIFT KIT to fit KAWASAKI PRAIRIE 360 650 700:eBay Motors (item 180445982045 end time Jan-14-10 15:46:36 PST)

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
thanks i will check that out. i may go with the lift and leave the preload alone. i really dont want to effect the way it rides, would just like it to sit level. thanks again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
update
I settled with pilot screws at 4 turns out, it does not pop one bit out the airbox, its cold naturedness is gone. shimmed the needles. Lots better but there is still room for improvement out the whole, going to trim the slide springs and shim a tad more. Timing might be an issue as well, gonna get the dyna box.

One thing different is steering, with the lift only in the rear, this thing is crisp on the steering, which I like, I thought the steering was sluggish, not anymore.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Wow 4 turns out, they should about be ready to just fall out at that setting. If thats where it's running good at then you should put in bigger pilot jets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts