Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello My 2009 Mule Trans is giving me trouble. When I take my foot off the gas it immediately shifts down to the lower gear. How can this be? I know it has centrifugal clutch and only has low and high gear.
It feels like an forced down shift. To counter this I have been riding with my foot on the throttle and keep a steady rpm. Only when I remove my foot completely off does it go into lower gear.

Please help!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello My 2009 Mule Trans is giving me trouble. When I take my foot off the gas it immediately shifts down to the lower gear. How can this be? I know it has centrifugal clutch and only has low and high gear.
It feels like an forced down shift. To counter this I have been riding with my foot on the throttle and keep a steady rpm. Only when I remove my foot completely off does it go into lower gear.

Please help!
If you search my posts you will find the answer and how to fix it. The issue is worn bushes in the driven or secondary clutch in the CVT.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well...$956 later and still not working correctly. I replaced the driven clutch.
Now, I just ordered the secondary clutch...
I'm in it about $1600 now.
I hope for fast shipping and wish me luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well...$956 later and still not working correctly. I replaced the driven clutch.
Now, I just ordered the secondary clutch...
I'm in it about $1600 now.
I hope for fast shipping and wish me luck!
Hi.
The CVT on your Mule has two clutches. The one that is the forward of the two is the primary or drive clutch (convertor).

The larger of the two, and the one closer to the rear of your Mule is the secondary or driven clutch (convertor).

I mentioned that the issue that I had was the two identical worn bushes located in the driven or secondary clutch? They were worn.

I am hoping that you haven't misunderstood me, and I apologize in advance if I didn't explain myself properly. It is all explained in my previous posts.

You say that you have replaced the driven clutch? Then you mentioned that you have now ordered the secondary clutch?

They are the same thing.

The clutch that had the worn bushes in my instance was the larger sheaved clutch closer to the rear of the Mule. Now that you have gone this far you may as replace your drive belt as well.

The sheaves on both clutches must be surgically clean prior to installation. Referring to the Factory Workshop Manual I recall it mentions using White Spirit.

Both clutches can be rebuilt and the parts are readily available. The bushes are part number 92139-1078 and they are $9:63 each:-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts