Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my brute force is simply using oil. its not smoking black smoke or smoking at all. i just cant figure out why its losing oil.
we took it to the shop once because my fan wasnt working and it was using oil and antifreeze. according to the mechanics at the shop, the fan relay was broke. so the fan wouldnt work which caused the antifreeze to boil out. and i think he said something about blow by. thats when the oil starts to come out of the air filter. i didnt catch it all.
we replaced the relay so now the fan works fine, my antifreeze levels are fine, but im still using oil. i have no idea why. help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
502 Posts
50% of the brutes on this forum use/burn oil...

Make sure your brute never overheats, it will kill it...

get yourself a gauge, ebay sells them, its called Trail Tech TTO, it will allow you to monitor your coolant temperature, extremely easy to install, and the best 40$ you can spend on your brute... also might want to look into a fan switch idea, search the forum..

btw...how much oil does it take?

·
Registered
632 Posts
As one of the 50% that uses oil I can tell you it will likely foul a plug eventually. I have to change my rear plug every 600 miles approx. The one that comes out has a thick coating of ash. The first sign is a slight miss at idle. Its a bummer but doesnt affect performance so I live with it and check the oil daily. My other Brute doesnt burn a drop.
Hey, that's 50% of my Brutes!!!!! lol

·
Super Moderator
12,648 Posts
we replaced the relay so now the fan works fine, my antifreeze levels are fine, but im still using oil. i have no idea why. help would be greatly appreciated.
The damage is done; getting the fan to work won't repair the damage done by overheating.
If you're lucky, it's just the valve seals. If not, it needs to be bored and new pistons and rings installed.

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
Also check your rear output seal, they can lose a bit out of there without leaving a puddle.

Minnkawi, almost sounds like you might have a choke sticking on a little

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had an 05 brute 750 and every time I went out it took a quarter of a quart of oil I put a new air filter on and it never used any more oil sounds crazy but it worked worth a try

·
Registered
13 Posts
I too belong to the 50% club. I wasn't sure why my 750 was drinking more oil than I drink beer. I had no visible leaks (front and rear seal were good) so I had a leak down test performed. My front cylinder compression 45psi and rear 65psi. I got a valve job to see if the leakage was due to unadjusted valves. The front compression increased to 60psi after they were adjusted.

I filled up the oil and took it for a ride. I rode for about 80kms and wasn't too heavy on the throttle / no wheelies. Oil was still at the top and didn't notice any significant reduction. I then drove my Brute like it was stolen and the oil was going down considerably.

I opened my air intake and removed the screen to see my crankcase vent was puking up oil. I plan to do the catch can mod and have the oil return to the engine. I also noticed my oil consumption was reduced when I clean my air filter. I suspect a dirty filter will increase the suction of oil through the crankcase vent. I don't let my filter get filthy but I do notice a difference right after a cleaning.

I ride with a 650 Brute and his doesn't consume oil even if he's beating the heck out of it. I check it periodically when I ride and always bring a quart with me.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
My 05 750 also eats oil on hard rides and hot days. I usually try to remember to bring oil on every ride. I usually don't have to add until I get home though - maybe a quater of a quart. It was a little worse when I had a Muzzy.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
The damage is done; getting the fan to work won't repair the damage done by overheating.
If you're lucky, it's just the valve seals. If not, it needs to be bored and new pistons and rings installed.
NovaKaw650 (or anyone else who might know),

How long do you think it would take of the engine overheating to do this damage?

I ask because I had my stupid radiator fan fuse box short out on me one day a month ago when I was crawling up a very technical trail. Somewhere in the last 500 feet to 50 feet of the trail, my temp coolant gauge came on (I know it was not on before that). I'm not sure exactly how long it was on in that space because I didn't notice it until I stopped (my eyes were on every inch of this trail because it was NASTY) and a big plume of steam came out from under the plastic. I quickly shut off the engine and coolant kept gargling for about 2 minutes and then stopped. I lost about 1 cup of coolant. Rode a little faster all the way back down the trail and it never overheated again despite the fact that the fan was still not working. Got back to camp, jiggled the fuse box, fan has worked ever since.

Fast forward to today: I had a couple people riding behind me say that they could really smell oil from my machine. There's no smoke or loss of power, but I wonder if my rings or valve seals are toast? I run synthetic oil and it has always burned a little of that and had a little oil smell, but now it seems like it's stronger.

If that stinking $5 fan fuse box caused me hundreds of dollars in repairs, I'm not going to be a very happy camper! Or should I even worry about it? She still runs like a scolded cheetah and I don't mind adding a half quart of oil every 100 miles.

·
Super Moderator
12,648 Posts
Don't worry about it.
It didn't get that hot, and I've followed many brand new machines that you could smell oil smoke coming from them.
I used to organize and run many ATV pulls; 90% of the ATV's would blow smoke while making a pass.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Don't worry about it.
It didn't get that hot, and I've followed many brand new machines that you could smell oil smoke coming from them.
I used to organize and run many ATV pulls; 90% of the ATV's would blow smoke while making a pass.
Thank you. That is good to hear.

Just out of curiosity, do you think it might reduce the blow-by if I ran a little Sea Foam through it?

Or switch back to regular dino oil?

·
Super Moderator
12,648 Posts
Seafoam won't help unless the rings are sticking, but I very highly doubt that's a problem.
Running regular dino oil tends to burn a little less oil, as it doesn't flow as well as synthetic. I would continue to run synthetic, unless it's taking a lot of oil.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Running regular dino oil tends to burn a little less oil, as it doesn't flow as well as synthetic. I would continue to run synthetic, unless it's taking a lot of oil.
X2....I remember when I switched my old Brute to Ams oil and it dropped significantly after each ride. Switched back to conventional and it never burned a drop. I guess the synthetic is too slick and slides past the rings on the BF

·
Registered
272 Posts
My Brute has used oil since day one. I was using ams oil until I got sick of paying for oil to blow out my pipes. I now run rotella which is much cheaper and it still goes out my pipes. High rpm running burns more than low rpm running. Compression is good on both cylinders and I have never fouled a plug. But my buddies have always said they can smell oil burning and there is always oil residue on the tips of my muzzy's after a long high rpm ride. It uses a little more since the muzzy's but I'll take that trade off for the power gain. I just live with it now until I do a major rebuild. It's still running fine after 375 hrs and 6600 kms.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Thanks guys.

Went for a 38 mile ride today and had some Sea Foam in the tank. I was all by my lonesome so no other noses to help, but the smell was a little different. I suppose it was the Sea Foam burning. Ran great, and the tip of my exhaust is dry as a bone. I'll pull the plugs and check the dipstick tomorrow. It was too dark to do it tonight when I got home.

·
Registered
69 Posts
NovaKaw650 (or anyone else who might know),

How long do you think it would take of the engine overheating to do this damage?

I ask because I had my stupid radiator fan fuse box short out on me one day a month ago when I was crawling up a very technical trail. Somewhere in the last 500 feet to 50 feet of the trail, my temp coolant gauge came on (I know it was not on before that). I'm not sure exactly how long it was on in that space because I didn't notice it until I stopped (my eyes were on every inch of this trail because it was NASTY) and a big plume of steam came out from under the plastic. I quickly shut off the engine and coolant kept gargling for about 2 minutes and then stopped. I lost about 1 cup of coolant. Rode a little faster all the way back down the trail and it never overheated again despite the fact that the fan was still not working. Got back to camp, jiggled the fuse box, fan has worked ever since.

Fast forward to today: I had a couple people riding behind me say that they could really smell oil from my machine. There's no smoke or loss of power, but I wonder if my rings or valve seals are toast? I run synthetic oil and it has always burned a little of that and had a little oil smell, but now it seems like it's stronger.

If that stinking $5 fan fuse box caused me hundreds of dollars in repairs, I'm not going to be a very happy camper! Or should I even worry about it? She still runs like a scolded cheetah and I don't mind adding a half quart of oil every 100 miles.
My 06 Brute Force 650 used to overheat right when we got it. the guy we bought it from would take her to soggy bottom (not a good place for an un-snorkled ATV) after about 30 minutes of riding it, It would begin to overheat and smoke from around the engine. We simply cleaned to radiator (caked with black mud) and took the fuse for fan put and put it back in, fixed the fan and stopped the overheating. Then we searched for the smoke.... It was the overflow tube for the radiator dripping onto the exhaust pipe. We simply put it back in the holdster and no more overheating since i've had it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts