Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new to the forums here. I recently purchased a Kawasaki Mule 4010 and has less then 250 hours on it. Recently over the weekend the after running fine all weekend the Mule suddenly stopped working when we went to use it later in the day.

Upon looking at it, it may of run out of fuel initially. When it was refueled, we checked the fuel line pressure, fuel pump, and noted the spark plugs where saturated with fuel. There was very low spark. The mule turns and cranks over but cannot run after cranking over.

The battery, air filter, fuel line pressure, and fuel pump all appear to be working correctly. Any advice of what I should be looking at next ?

Thanks !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Throttle body is a weak link in the 4010, often causing poor, low, hunting idle, or stalling, and causing running rich, which can result in plugs like you are seeing. And it frequently happens around the 250 hour mark. There may be a warranty fix if you really push your dealer hard. Otherwise a new throttle body at $800 for the part, plus labor. It may respond to using throttle body spray cleaner, but this seems temporary. Problem’s root is too much time at idle or low speeds. The crankcase vents into the throttle body as part of emissions control, and deposits build up. The engine was really designed for continuous high RPM use, as in a generator or mower. Do a search for Mule throttle body, and you will find lots of info, much of it depressing for the owner of such a low hour machine. Even a new throttle body is doomed to fall victim to the same problem In another 250 hours. Delay the inevitable by frequent long runs with the revs bouncing off the governor.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Throttle body is a weak link in the 4010, often causing poor, low, hunting idle, or stalling, and causing running rich, which can result in plugs like you are seeing. And it frequently happens around the 250 hour mark. There may be a warranty fix if you really push your dealer hard. Otherwise a new throttle body at $800 for the part, plus labor. It may respond to using throttle body spray cleaner, but this seems temporary. Problem’s root is too much time at idle or low speeds. The crankcase vents into the throttle body as part of emissions control, and deposits build up. The engine was really designed for continuous high RPM use, as in a generator or mower. Do a search for Mule throttle body, and you will find lots of info, much of it depressing for the owner of such a low hour machine. Even a new throttle body is doomed to fall victim to the same problem In another 250 hours. Delay the inevitable by frequent long runs with the revs bouncing off the governor.
Is the crankcase vent internal or external? Is there any way to change the venting? I have two friends with Mule 4010 model is reason I ask.

·
Registered
Kawasaki Mule 550, KAF-300-C5
69 Posts
I believe the vent on these engines goes from the crankcase, into the valve cover, and a tube from the valve cover back to the air intake.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts