Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

2012 BF 750 technician help please!

Tags
750 cvt light
8K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  wcs61 
#1 ·
I am the service manager at a local powersports dealership and we are at a loss with a 750 BF. The unit came in with .9 hours and the cvt light was on and was running in "limp" or "safe" mode. We checked to ensure the switch had not been tripped and then reset the cvt light. We test rode the unit in our back dirt lot and tried high low 4wd and reverse as well as climbing hills, slow riding over some rocky areas, and some top speed runs. The unit never flinched and we sent the customer on his way with the unit. The unit came back later that day with the lit back on so I got in touch with Kawasaki and tried the following suggested by the tech. We reset the cvt light, checked the battery connections, checked the connection at the ecu, tapped on and around the cvt switch to try and trigger a response, and tested the continuity of the switch wires before and after the switch. Nothing happened at all with the switch, so the tech recommended putting a new cover/switch on the unit to completely eliminate that as a culprit. We did and then put a total of an hours worth of time on the unit in every possible condition; towing, with a rider, slow, fast, climbing, over rocks, 4wd, low, high and reverse. The unit performed wonderfully. The customer came in this morning to pick it up and as we were loading it with a dock style lift, (not ramps), the light came on. We have exhausted everything my techs and kawasaki has suggested. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any legitimate advice would be greatly appreciated. This is a brand new unit so we obviously can't rig anytng up. Thanks in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
My lite came on twice on my 012 first time out then a month later .the thing done since was some clutch mods and I was told the belt was pretty loose so when he modded the clutch he reshimed the belt to tighten it up and so far I haven't seen the light.maybe the belt is too loose setting off the light.

#3 ·
It does sound like a problem with a connection, but tripping while idling away on the lift doesn't make much sense. Could it be heat buildup affecting the ECU? Do you have another ECU you could try?

#7 ·
Give 'em an honest chance to fix it; maybe they could supply a used loaner for him to ride while they sort it out. If they hand out new quads (or cars, trucks, etc) we all end up paying for it in the end.

#8 ·
Bad connection, or unsoldered, uncrimped splice somewhere in the wiring harness? It's making contact at times but loosing contact due to vibration while operating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.