Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey KawieLovers!
Picked up a mint 012 650 sra some months back, w/300 miles on it. Love it so much we put 600 miles on it this summer. I added a UNI air filter right off the bat. I have searched this forum (and many others) up and down for weeks, and have also googled the topic spending countless late night sessions. Im still not finding a definitive.
Here is my question > I have a dynatech cdi, and a big gun full exhaust which I have not installed yet. Ive wrapped the exhaust, it looks gnarly as h*ll, and now Im getting anxious. I am going the Kiehin jet route( I have not ordered them yet), not the dynajet.
Can someone give me a good starting point?? I will order jets as soon as I can narrow a half a dozen down.
I have a friend with 4 decades of drag racing/carb knowledge to help out, but has never fiddled with atv carbs.
Im expecting the pilot to stay at 40# yes?
Any help will be greatly welcomed.

Off topic > I just picked up an 04 kfx700 with about 20hrs on it. Payed a pretty penny, but she is absolutely mint. I rode it 2x for less than an hour so far :D I plan to make a youtube vid in the near future, I think it might be one of the cleanest factory KFX's in the US. Ill post the link here when I do.

·
Super Moderator
4,426 Posts
Assuming you are at or below 3800 feet, grab the service manual. It will list the stock sea level jets that came with it. Go up two sizes front and back although the instructions ob the Big Gun may say to have the same sizes that's OK...if the rear is rich you can always drop it a size later. It should have #40 or 42 pilots so leave them alone. See to it both A/Fs are set the same. Start at 2.25 turns out and adjust as needed but not to exceed 2.75 turns out. Get a two-each .020 needle shims. Use these to fine tune the main jet needs. Understand that two shims under the needles is the same as adding or going up 1/2 jet size. .040 is the max you can go. Try without any shims at first but you should be very close with the main jets already.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is perfect, I appreciate! Im at 1000', yes. 138f / 142r stock ; and so Im looking at 142f and 146r correct?

"Understand that two shims under the needles is the same as adding or going up 1/2 jet size." Beautiful - I was slightly confused on the whole needle shim discussion, and now Im not.

·
Super Moderator
4,426 Posts
That is perfect, I appreciate! Im at 1000', yes. 138f / 142r stock ; and so Im looking at 142f and 146r correct?

"Understand that two shims under the needles is the same as adding or going up 1/2 jet size." Beautiful - I was slightly confused on the whole needle shim discussion, and now Im not.
Whatever the manual says it came with in Kiehin jets, go up two sizes as per their chart.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ahhh, hadnt come to that point. 142f / 148r seems odd, and so now the shims make even more sense. Will grab a couple few in my range, and some shims - and post results in a few weeks. (y)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Back to the off topic > heres a few pix of the brute in question AND a few pix taken of the 04 KFX in the off topic
IMG_1572.jpg
IMG_1573.jpg
IMG_1574.jpg
just a few wks ago for fun.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Clean machines right there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hey, Tell us how you like those SUNF tires?

Are they a good alternative to the high price big name brands?
It really erks me to find 12" rim tires for ATVs priced like off road tires for a truck.
Ive run ITP mudlites on most of my U-quads here in upstate NY, for years. Plenty adequate for most every practical trail situation, and the $$ isnt too too bad. However, they wear down quickly on the road/gravel roads. Im not a road rider, but at times destiny demands it. The only way to the next leg is 1/4 mile down the road...lol On Amazon I saw these Sun F for 225$/set. I did as much research as google would allow. Ordered em. As soon I helped the FedEx guy unload them, I knew they were going to be just what I was hoping for. Much harder tread. Ive had all summer to flog these, and they are the perfect solution to every terrain Mother Earth might throw at you. If you ONLY ride in 5 foot mud pits(semi sarcasm) - look elsewhere. These will take you through the average mud section no prob. Ill be running these SunF's on all my quads from here on out. After 700miles now, the wear is very minimal. And I cant helping loving the orange SunF label, its as orange today as it was when I mounted. The SunF's are certainly a quality tire, no doubt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts