Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got it yesterday, used but with brand new motor. Test drove, but only very slow in the parking lot. Got it home and it seems to be (electronically?) limited to 11 mph. If I give it gas to try and go above that, it just stutters. The seat belt is buckled and the light goes off on the dash so it doesn't seem to be that. Also the diff lock is off and it's in 2wd H. Any thoughts? I can't find anything addressing this issue anywhere. Thanks!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Check for codes, turn key on, press left button until ODO shows, then hold the left button for 2 seconds and see if any numbers are displayed on bottom right

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check for codes, turn key on, press left button until ODO shows, then hold the left button for 2 seconds and see if any numbers are displayed on bottom right
Only continued to show the mileage, didn't do anything or show any codes. I know the reason it has a new engine is because it was ran without oil and that ruined the old one. Maybe it was put into some sort of limp mode when that happened and needs to be reset?

·
Registered
406 Posts
No idea (my first thought was the seatbelt). :unsure:
I would try disconnecting the battery for 5-10 minutes and see if it "reboots" without problems when the battery is reconnected. If that does not work, I would take it back to the selling dealer. Let them figure it out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seatbelt is buckled but this is a 2015 and I think it only had a warning light. It did just get a new engine so maybe it also got a new computer that isn't able to read the older seatbelt sensor? The new sensors (2016 and up I think) actually limited speed whereas the 2015 and earlier just flashed a reminder light on the dash (which is working properly).

·
Registered
406 Posts
Seatbelt is buckled but this is a 2015 and I think it only had a warning light. It did just get a new engine so maybe it also got a new computer that isn't able to read the older seatbelt sensor? The new sensors (2016 and up I think) actually limited speed whereas the 2015 and earlier just flashed a reminder light on the dash (which is working properly).
You might need a new cluster too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check the parking brake switch - on my 2015 (bought new) if the E brake light is on it will not reach speed-only jumps and sputters - disconnected seat belt plug to turn off light on dash - had NO effect on speed or performance - will run 45 mph and then shuts down(as it is suppose to do).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got it back from the dealer today. They determined there was a compatibility issue with the new harness that came with the new engine and the older electronic system in the 2015 model. It was artificially limiting the speed like how the newer models do if you are not buckled. Not sure what modifications they made but it doesn't seem like a do it yourself job unless you are really knowledgeable and if that's the case you probably don't need help from this thread! Anyway, it now does the same cut out thing at 45mph which is what it is supposed to do. I'm very happy and relieved as they took care of everything at no charge to me!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts