Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was there ever a consensus on what oil to run in these newer Brutes? Manual says two different things on two consecutive pages!

I need to add some, and what's already in there smells like gear oil, but.....?
Product Font Material property Screenshot Parallel

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Was there ever a consensus on what oil to run in these newer Brutes? Manual says two different things on two consecutive pages!

I need to add some, and what's already in there smells like gear oil, but.....?
View attachment 77657
I ran the kawi engine oil in the front ever since ive had mine and never had issues. This year I switched to gear oil. I dont think it really matters what you run in it but the gear oil is thicker and im probably gonna stick with it. Yea let me know what you decide. Gear oil has a nasty smell dude youll definitely know

Reactions: kickstart

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
People have and do run both in the 2012+s..however, nothing has really changed in there sense the days of your P700 so my suggestion is to run the 10w40 non-synthetic in cold temps and a 75w80/90 non-synthetic in hot temps that meet the GL4&5 standards which means it already have the additives for limited slip diffs...and some are friction disks so its OK with your diff-locs.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I called my dealer and they said engine oil is all they use, and no complaints. Then I called a buddy who used to be a certified Kawie tech at said dealer, and he said engine. Then I called Kawasaki directly, and they took 25 minutes to tell me they were having a board meeting next Monday to go over the verbage of the owner's manuals, and that she would submit my question for review and they will get back with me.🥴

Then I went looking for my yamalube gear oil to see if I had enough to do the job, and I didn't, so I drained whatever was in there and put in some fresh 10w-40 dino oil. I figure it's got my other diff through 26,000 miles without one issue, so it's good enough for the Brute.

Now I need to go stick my finger in my sweetie's 2012 Brute diff and see what it smells like....🤪

·
Registered
385 Posts
Mine leaks a little and I drive thru a lot of water so I have to change it often so I just use whatever is cheapest. Half the time when I change it it’s very milky. I’m pretty sure they are pretty resilient as long as something is in it :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I use Mobil 1 75w90 that already comes with the LS additive. Lots more antiwear additives (phoshporus and zinc) and more shear stable than 10w40. If you use 10w40 make sure it's JASO MA like NMK says above. btw, 75w90 is same viscosity (resistance to flow aka thickness) as 10w40 at operating temp. Gear oils are graded on a different viscosity scale. I've spent countless hours researching oil for all my toys over the years at bobistheoilguy forum lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts