Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He there! Anyone know how to bypass rear brake / running lights with a kill switch? I use my 4010 Mule for hunting hogs at night and want to be able to kill the brake lights when hunting and then use them when riding around the countryside. I tried to put a switch in between the ground wire but that did not work. I have the wiring diagram but can't determine how to bypass.

Any help would be appreciated!

thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help! Attached is the owners manual which has a wiring diagram. The manual is for 2009 to 2018 but nothing has changed for the 2020.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You could use TWO switches, one for just the brake lights disabled and the other for just the tail lights disabled.
OR you could use ONE switch to disable BOTH brake lights and tail lights. For that you will need a DPDT switch.
You will have to break two wires and run them to the switch or switches. I am not sure the easiest place to cut the wires. You will have to look and see what you think will work best/easiest.
One spot is where the tail light harness plugs into the main harness. Black wire is tail lights. Blue wire is brake lights. One place the diagram said the brake light wire was Blue and white.
The other place is "up front" Find the brake light switch and "break" for your switch the blue wire (might be blue/white).
For taillights you will have to open/untape the harness. From the headlight switch find the black wire. Follow it and you find a splice to red/yellow wire. This for the indiacator light on the switch. Keep following the black wire, next splice you come to is another black wire. It goes to the headlights. So you have to make the break after this splice, or you will also kill the headlights.
I thinking where the taillight harness connect to the main harness will be the easiest. It will just take more wire to get to your kill switch(s). It will have three wires; Black = tail lights, Blue = brake lights, and Black/Yellow = ground.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My guess is breaking the ground wire for the brake/tail lights just turned the bulb into single filament bulb (brake and tail light filaments both use the same ground) that, then became another bulb, in series with your headlights.
Did you notice the headlights being dimmer? Or coming ON when you braked?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awsome! THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!

You are correct! breaking the ground wire for the brake/tail lights just turned the bulb into single filament bulb (brake and tail light filaments both use the same ground) that, then became another bulb, in series with your headlights. I didnt notice the headlights being dimmer.

I will give this a try!

Thanks Again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts