Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is an earlier thread about this but wondering how many of you are really experiencing this shifting issue:
I have a 2020 Mule SX that is completely stock. About 85% of the time when I shift from Low to High and High to N or Reverse, I have to pop the gas hard before it will shift. The belt always seems in a bind and it will not shift without popping the gas (hard). I'm stopping on level ground and completely stopped when shifting. When I shift down from R to N to H to L- it never happens.
Strangely, it only started this issue when I hit 5 hours (i'm at 9 right now). I took it to the dealer and they said it was "normal". I don't feel this is normal as it makes it really challenging when parking on a trailer to get it back in to Reverse. AND, its just aggravating to have to manage a new vehicle like this when shifting.

Are yall experiencing this with your Mule regularly or should I force the issue with my dealer?

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Does it have engine braking going downhill? Complain to Kawasaki directly also in case it does cause damage at some point
The only times I had issues with my Mule 610 was when the engine idled higher than normal

·
Registered
2020 SX XC 4x4 Mule
2 Posts
There is an earlier thread about this but wondering how many of you are really experiencing this shifting issue:
I have a 2020 Mule SX that is completely stock. About 85% of the time when I shift from Low to High and High to N or Reverse, I have to pop the gas hard before it will shift. The belt always seems in a bind and it will not shift without popping the gas (hard). I'm stopping on level ground and completely stopped when shifting. When I shift down from R to N to H to L- it never happens.
Strangely, it only started this issue when I hit 5 hours (i'm at 9 right now). I took it to the dealer and they said it was "normal". I don't feel this is normal as it makes it really challenging when parking on a trailer to get it back in to Reverse. AND, its just aggravating to have to manage a new vehicle like this when shifting.

Are yall experiencing this with your Mule regularly or should I force the issue with my dealer?

Thanks for the feedback.
Mine does the same thing sometimes, but i just tap the gas lightly (Not hard) while trying to shift, and it goes right on thru

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does it have engine braking going downhill? Complain to Kawasaki directly also in case it does cause damage at some point
The only times I had issues with my Mule 610 was when the engine idled higher than normal
Thanks and that's what I'm worried about- at some point this will cause issues. Also, at exactly the same time this started, it began having a rattling sound in the back end when it gets under a load. The dealer said they couldn't hear it and told me they would look at it but would have to charge me if no issue was identified. It sounds like a muffler guard vibrating but everything seems tight under there. Just aggravating to have issues on a brand new bike. Otherwise, I really like this thing and it's exactly what I wanted.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Thanks for the feedback.
I have a 2018 Mule SX that will not shift from Low unless I tap the gas. Then it will move past High and to Neutral or Reverse.

Also, when idling it sounded as though the transmission was coming apart. I looked at everything thinking something was loose, but could find nothing.

i took it to the dealer for the 20 hour service and they went over everything. They did find a hole in the muffler—a bad weld—and replaced it under warranty but found everything else normal. The noise level has diminished, but the clatter at idle is still there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 2018 Mule SX that will not shift from Low unless I tap the gas. Then it will move past High and to Neutral or Reverse.

Also, when idling it sounded as though the transmission was coming apart. I looked at everything thinking something was loose, but could find nothing.

i took it to the dealer for the 20 hour service and they went over everything. They did find a hole in the muffler—a bad weld—and replaced it under warranty but found everything else normal. The noise level has diminished, but the clatter at idle is still there.
Thanks and at least it's good to know I'm not alone! I'm getting closer to the 20hr mark and will take mine in to have them run through it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts