Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new 2022 Mule Pro MX. I’m trying to determine if the sound I’m hearing coming from the front is normal. The sound happens around 15 mph and sounds like a rattle as well as the driveshaft/differential making a rotating noise. Is this noise normal? Any other owners hear this with theirs?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a brand new 2022 Mule Pro MX. I’m trying to determine if the sound I’m hearing coming from the front is normal. The sound happens around 15 mph and sounds like a rattle as well as the driveshaft/differential making a rotating noise. Is this noise normal? Any other owners hear this with theirs?
I don’t recall hearing anything like that on my 2021 pro-Mx, but I can tell you, they’re noisy machines. Mine has the roof so that reflects more noise at me. You’ll get used to it. With the 3 year warranty, I wouldn’t sweat it. I just did the 20 hr oil/ filter and both diff’s service. I saw no metal shaving/chips from either place. When you do you 20hr service, look at the fluids that come out. Small stuff is normal…chunks of metal not normal. Next service, I’m putting magnetic drain plugs in all three holes. Can’t believe Kaw didn’t do that from the factory.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just got back from riding on asphalt and gravel roads. Didn’t really notice what you’re describing. On asphalt, at around 15 mph, on level road…there’s a bit of whine and chatter with the drivetrain having pretty much no load. I guess if it was me..I’d make sure engine and diffs had correct oil levels (and changed if they’re due), make sure no lug nuts are loose and climb under and shake pretty much anything you can grab. I think the sales-dude told me that the mules are shipped palletized or crated. The dealers have to install top of cage, roof, wheels and maybe front bumper. Might check all those for loose. My right door was rattling and squeaking.. got on my nerves but a slight adjustment to the latch took care of it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got back from riding on asphalt and gravel roads. Didn’t really notice what you’re describing. On asphalt, at around 15 mph, on level road…there’s a bit of whine and chatter with the drivetrain having pretty much no load. I guess if it was me..I’d make sure engine and diffs had correct oil levels (and changed if they’re due), make sure no lug nuts are loose and climb under and shake pretty much anything you can grab. I think the sales-dude told me that the mules are shipped palletized or crated. The dealers have to install top of cage, roof, wheels and maybe front bumper. Might check all those for loose. My right door was rattling and squeaking.. got on my nerves but a slight adjustment to the latch took care of it.
Thanks for the thorough response! It’s hard to miss.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Less than 5 hours and about 80 miles on it. I may consider it.
Maybe look in the front storage compartment (on the hood) - could be something left in there rattling around. Also, if it sounds like it’s coming from the front, I’d probably check the gear oil level in front diff. The fill plug is that big bolt right in the front of the diff. I think that’s a 36mm plug. As long as you can see some oil in there, you should be good. Dealer should have checked that but….

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here’s a video of the suspected noise. Wondering if others have play in their front diff shaft like this. Only 4 clips hold cover on. Push in with finger the. Pull out. Reverse process puts them back in. Nice design for easy access. Front diff video
Both of my front half shafts have almost no play. Grab the silver “barrel” next to the inner boot and see if it’ll push in towards the diff. and snap in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2021 Mule Pro MX EPS, has 15 hours on it, bought it brand new in April 2021, and I get that same rattle/chatter that seems to be coming from the front, about 12-14 mph in H, about 6-7 mph in L, and greatly reduced when I put it in 4WD. Seems worse at constant speed, if you work the throttle and coast to hit the right speed it can really vibrate. I can also get it to rattle in neutral by revving. I took it back to the dealer, they greased the primary drive sheave, said it was fixed, it was not, and I took it right back, drove it with the service rep and nicely asked them to try again.

I won’t say the sound is normal, but apparently it occurs on more than one MX unit, thanks for posting about it. I have an ATV that doesn’t make that noise, and I have driven several Mules and numerous ATVs over the years that have not made it either, including Kawasakis.

I will update this thread on the resolution from my dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2021 Mule Pro MX EPS, has 15 hours on it, bought it brand new in April 2021, and I get that same rattle/chatter that seems to be coming from the front, about 12-14 mph in H, about 6-7 mph in L, and greatly reduced when I put it in 4WD. Seems worse at constant speed, if you work the throttle and coast to hit the right speed it can really vibrate. I can also get it to rattle in neutral by revving. I took it back to the dealer, they greased the primary drive sheave, said it was fixed, it was not, and I took it right back, drove it with the service rep and nicely asked them to try again.

I won’t say the sound is normal, but apparently it occurs on more than one MX unit, thanks for posting about it. I have an ATV that doesn’t make that noise, and I have driven several Mules and numerous ATVs over the years that have not made it either, including Kawasakis.

I will update this thread on the resolution from my dealer.
Dealer called and said they discussed the problem with Kawasaki, who intructed the dealer to replace the primary drive sheave. We will see if that resolves the issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here’s a video of the suspected noise. Wondering if others have play in their front diff shaft like this. Only 4 clips hold cover on. Push in with finger the. Pull out. Reverse process puts them back in. Nice design for easy access. Front diff video
Mine's a 2022 Pro FX. I tried moving my front drive shaft coupling like in your video and got very little movement, maybe 1/16-1/8" max. Very little travel. Made a little clacking sound at both ends of travel, but it looks like yours move farther then mine do. Maybe yours is a different design, don't know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dealer called and said they discussed the problem with Kawasaki, who instructed the dealer to replace the primary drive sheave. We will see if that resolves the issue.
I just bought a 2021 Mule MXPRO LE and I noticed the exact same noise you described. I have 11.9 hours and 120 miles, waiting till I have 20 hours and will bring it to my dealer for first service and will ask them to check it. Let me know if replacing the primary drive shaft fixed the issue or if this is "normal" . Also, not to be nit picky, but does any one elses fuel gauge way off? Mine still shows full but filling tank takes 3.6 gallons?

·
Registered
5 Posts
My fuel gauge tracks fairly well. If I understand your post correctly, the fuel gauge indicated full but the tank accepted 3.6 gallons, that sounds off. That is over a third of the 9.5 gallon tank capacity, which seems to defeat the purpose of a fuel gauge somewhat. I don’t think that is being picky-I would put that on the list for the dealer to check.
Your post probably got auto corrected, but it’s primary drive sheave, not shaft that Kawasaki said to replace.

Thanks for posting on the vibration, it’s a help to get perspective on the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My fuel gauge tracks fairly well. If I understand your post correctly, the fuel gauge indicated full but the tank accepted 3.6 gallons, that sounds off. That is over a third of the 9.5 gallon tank capacity, which seems to defeat the purpose of a fuel gauge somewhat. I don’t think that is being picky-I would put that on the list for the dealer to check.
Your post probably got auto corrected, but it’s primary drive sheave, not shaft that Kawasaki said to replace.

Thanks for posting on the vibration, it’s a help to get perspective on the problem.
Thanks for the info on the fuel tank. I will add this to the list for my dealer. I will post update on what dealer says about rattle.
Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dealer ordered parts to replace the primary drive sheave, apparently the ramp plate is “Unobtainium” and won’t be available until mid November. They say no other dealer has it. I tried a couple of online vendors such as partzilla, and get the same response. I brought the Mule home until they get the part in.

More to follow…..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts