Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a good Idea on where to get a better air filter for the '21? It looks like they changed the airbox from Hester's video to have the piece molded into the airbox instead of it being removable.

Stock paper filters are not going to do it down here in the southwest.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Anyone have a good Idea on where to get a better air filter for the '21? It looks like they changed the airbox from Hester's video to have the piece molded into the airbox instead of it being removable.

Stock paper filters are not going to do it down here in the southwest.
Retro fit an old box in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
402 Posts
Doe the 2021s use a different air filter?
My 2018 FXR uses a Donaldson filter, same P/N as John Deere uses in their Gators that have the Chery engine.
Donaldson also sells an inner filter that fits inside the main filter. IIRC the JD diesel Gators have this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doe the 2021s use a different air filter?
My 2018 FXR uses a Donaldson filter, same P/N as John Deere uses in their Gators that have the Chery engine.
Donaldson also sells an inner filter that fits inside the main filter. IIRC the JD diesel Gators have this.
It’s the same filter as before but I wanted one I could clean. And keep using considering how dusty it is here in NM.

The box is different from the previous years

·
Registered
402 Posts
John Deere came out with snorkel kit for some of their Gators. I heard it was due to complaints about the filter getting dirty too quickly. From the dust the tires make.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How is the box different? did they make the inner part molded in now?
Yeah, if you watch Hester’s video on the Zuni Filter that round ring he pulls out is now molded into the air box.

I’m going to buy the Uni Filter he recommends and see if I can get it to fit. It probably won’t

·
Registered
402 Posts
Check out K&N P/N KA-6201. They (K&N) say it's for the Mule Pro DXT, which is the diesel version, but the DXT uses the same Kawasaki P/N air filter as the MULE Pro FX, FXR, & FXT.
Washable and reusable.
I am not sure if an oiled filter would be bad for an EFI gas engine and that's why K&N only list it for the diesel engined Mules? Might be worth asking K&N if there would be problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Check out K&N P/N KA-6201. They (K&N) say it's for the Mule Pro DXT, which is the diesel version, but the DXT uses the same Kawasaki P/N air filter as the MULE Pro FX, FXR, & FXT.
Washable and reusable.
I am not sure if an oiled filter would be bad for an EFI gas engine and that's why K&N only list it for the diesel engined Mules? Might be worth asking K&N if there would be problem.
I’ve run K&N’s on my gas trucks before without issue, just don’t soak them in the oil LoL like some people do.

I think I should be able to get that unifilter to fit since the stock filter didn’t change

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks!
Does the foam come off for cleaning?
Does it take a special oil?
So the other Uni filters I have you can take the foam off, and clean it and oil it like a K&N.

Most Powersports guys I know run these, with zero issues. I have one on my ATV, my KLR and it would be nice to get one for my Mule.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve run K&N’s on my gas trucks before without issue, just don’t soak them in the oil LoL like some people do.

I think I should be able to get that unifilter to fit since the stock filter didn’t change

I have tried to replace the OEM filter with the uni recommended but was un able to secure the outer cover.(bummer) considering extending the air intake to a cleaner more ventilated area with a pre filter, as the OEM location(to say the least) is in my opinion POOLY designed. I now am concerned that the belt intake air vent should also be extended to clean air????? Waiting for my Dealer to tell me its ok to extend the fresh air intake, as we have a request into Kawasaki for advice. My machine is a 21 mule pro fxt ranch.

·
Registered
402 Posts
John Deere Gator owners also complained about how dirty the engine air filter got. JD came up with an add on snorkle kit.
Time for Kawasaki to step up
835mstack.JPG

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
100%. First ride through the desert here in NM yesterday. After about 25 miles and being done for the day, had to pull the filter off and beat the dirt out of it.

I’m going to work on a snorkel kit for it to put a pre filter somewhere. Black PVC should work

·
Registered
402 Posts
I am interested in what you come up with.
JD uses a different filter housing, which looks like it's supplied by Donaldson. The inlet is from the side rather than the end. So the cap that comes off to replace the filter does not have any duct work attached to it. That style might be easier to extend the inlet with longer ducting. You can get various sizes, outlet to engine; straight or 90°(outlet is top in picture and 90°) I would use a straight outlet. Inlet could be "clocked" to any position. Also shown is a "rain cap" for the inlet
Donaldson2.JPG

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That looks good, I think I might do something like this set up.

Except I will route the pipe a different way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts