Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a 07 3010 with 3 reverse gears.
f is reverse. n is reverse and r is reverse.
millions sold, yet only one vid on you tube shows a tear down.
dealers will not touch anything over 10 years old.
if i do take it out and a part, what should i be looking for?
have service manual, but no trouble shooting. any mule masters in florida? any help would be great.
thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
thanks for the response. The first thing I did was but a new cable, even before checking the one I had just to remove that from the picture. I have shifted the transmission by hand at the top of the transmission and the lever clicks in to each spot very well. no free play or slop can be found. I think the problem is inside, something like a shift fork, but that's just a guess. in the only vid i found, his problem was a ball bearing that controlled the shifter on the top of the trans had fallen out, but from that vid, i know this is not what is wrong with mine. Thanks

·
Registered
Kawasaki Mule 550, KAF-300-C5
144 Posts
cheapest solution is probably to install a big mirror in place of the windshield. LOL.
What i would do in this case, since you know that is internal is tear it down. all the parts are still available for the transmission. if you do, the main thing is Take Pictures of everything you disassemble. especially take pictures when you think to yourself "i'll remember where it went".
Or if you have a little more Money than you do time/mechanical skills, there are few used trannys on Ebay for about $1200.
You can also contact Kawasaki, as i've found their techs are very very helpful.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi
thanks again for your response. i know i am going to half to pull it, and my manual showes great pics of the parts. the main things are i do not know how to remove the 4x4 shat, and once out, what am i looking for. yes i know it will not shift, but what part is causing the problem. anyway i have got to get it done as i have done so much to the rest of it, i am to deep to quit now. thanks for the idea of talking to a tech, i did not know they would let you do that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi
thanks again for your response. i know i am going to half to pull it, and my manual showes great pics of the parts. the main things are i do not know how to remove the 4x4 shat, and once out, what am i looking for. yes i know it will not shift, but what part is causing the problem. anyway i have got to get it done as i have done so much to the rest of it, i am to deep to quit now. thanks for the idea of talking to a tech, i did not know they would let you do that.
I’m fairly certain I know what the issue is. The lever you are turning where you can feel the clicks has a peg welded onto it with a free spinning roller. That peg is like a shift fork and moves an engagement dog from forward to reverse and vice versa. That peg has broken off and that shift lever will need to be replaced. It will require all halves of the trans to be split, not just the main two sections but with a service manual and taking pics during disassembly it’s not that bad.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi
i kind of knew i would have to remove it, but thanks for helping me to know what to look for once split.
i have looked at the manual after your reply, and have a better idea for where and what to look for once in there. thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi
thanks for that info, but i may never get that far, as i can not get the clutch off. on my 97 you remove the bolt and pull it off, but not on the 07. removed the bolt and all the pulling and pounding will not make it move at all. shot some p b blaster up in it, but not many ways for it to get between the clutch, and the shaft, shot it in the front and back. i do not have a puller that big, and do not know if that would be a good idea anyways, as the housing is made of pot metal on the clutch. i do own a torch set but would not know where to heat it, as the whole shaft is covered by the clutch.
anyone have any thoughts?
thanks

·
Registered
349 Posts
Are there any threads for a puller, like some flywheels have?
Any room for some plastic wedges (like loggers use) that you can get behind it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hi
no room to get behind it, and i seen a vid that showed someone using a clutch removal tool, so i ordered one. will keep everyone informed on how that works out.
thanks for your response.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i just went to e bay, and looked for kawasaki clutch removal tool. then i clicked on low to hi price. also it said it would work on a 07 3010.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
just got the transmission apart, and yes the missing pin on the bottom of the shifter is not there, juat as you had guessed. i did not find it, but i did find a lot of metal shavings. will try to post pics tomorrow. thanks for the knowledge.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts