Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have a 1996 300 bayou 4x4 in great shape. Here's the problem i was plowing snow when i noticed i didn't need to turn reverse switch to put it in reverse, also neutral light quit working, and electric start won't work. I have to use pull starter, it still runs perfect. I checked wires visually can't see anything wrong, any idea's would be gratefully appreciated.

Jerry in Ohio

·
Registered
4 Posts
There's a cable adjustment on the left side of the motor down by the shift arm. You'll have to remove a cover plate to access it (I think it's held on by 4 8mm bolts). The manual says that the reverse knob should only have 2-3mm of play before the cable starts to move. My 300 had both the reverse and neutral lights not working when I got it. I found both wires severed at a factory crimp about 4 inches from the bulbs. Soldered/shrink tubed 'em both and they work great now! You'll have to do a continuity test on those wires and go from there. I wonder if the electric start doesn't work because you're having a hard time finding neutral without the light? I know when mine wasn't working it was a pain to find! I guess it could be the switch under the side plate as well--that's much more work though! Good luck...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was plowing snow and the same exact thing happened to my Bayou 300 4x4. Everything happened just as you described Jerry. Could you update if you fixed your problem and what exactly had to be done?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts