Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I got my 36mm carbs for the 2005 kfx 700 and have a few questions. First off where do I start with jetting this thing on a stock internal engine? I have a Muzzy super pro, Home made crossover intake, GYTR filter, and spark plug mod. I have the LM-2 so I just need to get close so I can tune from there with the Innovate.

Also what do I do with the old choke cable? I know it wont work on the F4 carbs... or can I mod them to work? If not what do I use to choke the carbs?

One last question I have found one GYTR filter already but they want $65 plus shipping for it. I have checked ebay and had no luck. Anyone know where I can find one at a better price? New or used don't matter to me as long as it's in good condition.

·
Registered
8,165 Posts
You can mod the cable to work. My cable was frayed pretty bad, caused my chokes to stick. I removed the choke when I went to 36's. I have to take my seat off to choke it now.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan on running my home made crossover intake with my 36mm carbs as well. When I was searching info on these carbs I kept reading that the crossovers don't do anything for the bigger carbs. If that's true then why does John and UPP's both sale them and why is there such a high demand for them? I'm just a little confused on this.

Also could really use some tips on a starting point for jetting these carbs.

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
James you may have to open up your boots to allow the 36's to fit into them or like I said get Kevin to make you a set. I would try the jets that are in it first. I know it has 40 pilots in it and I think 132 or 135 mains in it.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I planed on taking my dremel to the intakes to cut some of the rubber out so it will flow more air. Then I'll boil some water and put the end of the intake in till it gets soft then force the carb into it. I'll buy a set of UPP's when John gets them back into stock.

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
the 36's and crossovers do work. you just need the motor for it.

figure it thisway. you have a 19mm ID crossover and a 36mm intake. that is near 55mm of intake to 1 head. now it doesn't really addup like that because the intake runners are just about 35-36mm but you aren't just governed by a single 36mm hole.

I like the 36's for the mow-mid hit they give. I hate them for the "unoffroadability" of them whoops and bumps they suck. I took them off as I near crashed it climbing a rocky steep hill. it crapped out right at the top and went backwards nearly the whole way down the hill.

Thta was enough to go back to stockers.

now on a stock motor. I'd say they are overkill. you will find that stockers and crossovers will add more power and run far better.

John

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I mostly trail and love hill climbing. So these carbs might not be what I'm looking for then huh? I like jumping my 700 from time to time as well.

I have a fundy 730 kit sitting here that I plan to install after I get z-mann paid. How will the stock 32mm carbs UPP crossover intake work with it? I plan to buy a set of AMR xx or FST stage 3 cams to go with the 730 as well.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
I have not had any problems with stumbling on my 36 carbs that Eforce set up for me. Running the K&N no airbox filter, I have 165/170 jets @ 700 feet elevation.

I had 48 pilots in which were a bid rich, but not bad....not enough to change the pilots.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you trail your 800? Most of the time thats all my 700 will see is the trails. I don't want deal with bogging and stumbling when I'm on the trails.

Yea I seen the dual K&N filter on ebay for $139 thats nuts. Where did you find your filters?

If I do keep the 36mm carbs I'm going to wait to put them on until my 730 is all finished up.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys I got my 36mm carbs installed today. I cant get my stock throttle cable to fit there isnt enough room between the carb and the frame. Will the 400ex throttle cable work or is there a different cable I have to buy? I'm using stock intakes.

·
Premium Member
23,817 Posts
the throttle cable should fit fine.

·
Registered
10,321 Posts
I used the stock throttle cable, no problem. I am also running the stock intakes with my 36's and didn't have to open them up at all. It's a tight fit getting the carbs in, but it isn't that tough.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used the stock throttle cable, no problem. I am also running the stock intakes with my 36's and didn't have to open them up at all. It's a tight fit getting the carbs in, but it isn't that tough.
hmm yea there is no way my cable will work. Don't matter witch way I install my carbs bowls facing left or right frame is still in the way. have a picture of your carbs installed where I can see your cable RPM?

·
Registered
10,321 Posts
This is probably the only shot I have that is going to help you out any. With everything I built to run the NOS, it's impossible to see where it actually mounts to the carbs.

You can see the metal 90* part of the throttle cable sitting on top of the frame (Under the black radiator hose). We built a small braket to hold the throttle in place. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Think you misunderstood my question. I already have the throttle bracket made. I can hook my cable into the 36mm carb and it works just fine when the carb isn't mounted to the engine.

I did get the cable to mount to the carb while on the engine but it will cock the carb to one side making it crooked. when I rev the engine the throttle will stick and rev down very slow. If I take the cable off the carb and rev the engine it revs normal. I had my cable mounted just like yours in the picture. I don't get it.

·
Registered
10,321 Posts
Try making another mount with the part that the cable attaches too a little bit higher (Towards the top of the carbs). So it doesn't cause the cable to bind from the frame pushing up on it.

Try this. Mount the carbs with the throttle cable attached to the carbs but don't put the throttle bracket on. Now run the throttle cable to where the metal 90 is sitting on the upper frame tube. Zip tie it onto the frame, line up the cable to where it is straight. That is where your bracket needs to be. If you make the bracket to fit the cable at that location, you should be fine.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Would the 400ex cable be a better fit? My cable is mucked up so I gotta buy a new one anyways.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know the 36mm carbs use series 21 pilot jets and I know they use the same Keihin small round main jets that the stock carbs use. My question is what series are the main jets 393?

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
Here you go... you can look up jets by model. look for a honda cbr f4 and look at the kfx 700 they are the same main jets 393 series is for the f4 same thing.

Jets R Us

1 - 20 of 22 Posts