Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I took the brute to the shop a while back due to a bad KEBC and the computer under the seat that controls the 4wd as well as the toggle switch. They replaced both and now I'm having a new issue.. The bike just won't shift from 2-4wd sometimes.. Sometimes it will and sometimes it gets stuck in 4wd for a while when it engages. I've been riding with it in 4wd all the time and it never fails. But if I do shift it out I have to shut it off, sometimes unplug the computer under the seat and try a few times before I'll work again. Sometimes it just won't engage at all. Seems like it has more of an issue coming into 4wd that out. I'm having no flashing lights on the display

Anyway, assuming it's not the three replaced components that only leaves the Actuator in the front diff and the speed sensor. Any thoughts on which it could be? I really need to get this 4wd squared away.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
379 Posts
Get a multi-meter tester.............ohms

I Would also check the 2x4 ...4x4 switch and any connections that could be loose pertaining to it................................................
make sure your engine is not idled too high.

Good Luck!

Kawasaki Engine Brake Control and
Selectable 2WD/4WD System Malfunction:
Actuators failed
Speed sensor short or open
Forward/Reverse detecting sensor short or
open
Actuator controller failed
Controller 10A fuse blown

Battery disconnected

·
Registered
711 Posts
If you think it is the actuator ,you can swap it for the engine brake actuator .They are the same part number.If it starts working and the engine brake is now intermittent then you know that was it .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you think it is the actuator ,you can swap it for the engine brake actuator .They are the same part number.If it starts working and the engine brake is now intermittent then you know that was it .
The engine brake is fine, I'm talking about the actuator on the front diff.

·
Registered
962 Posts
He is saying swap the actuators to see if the problem follows the actuator (just for dianosing the problem). Seems like it might be an actuator problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He is saying swap the actuators to see if the problem follows the actuator (just for dianosing the problem). Seems like it might be an actuator problem.
Oh ok thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE --- I cleaned the connections on the speed sensor and front actuator. Now I have a NEW issue. The bike will indicate 4wd when selected after it's been shut down... But then won't go back to 2wd.

And now, if I turn the bike off and let the engine brake do it's noises... Then select 2wd/4wd the bike will then indicated on the display whatever I select, as long as it was shut down long enough to let the engine brake do its thing. (if i turn it off and it's indicating 4wd, then switch to 2wd and turn it back on it shows 2wd now.) but from what I can tell it's actually stuck in 4wd.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
50 Posts
ok take the cap off the accuator motor. if its got mostior in there wipe it out. if it has a lil rust int there get some fine sand paper and clean it up! this happen to mine b4. what happens is they sweat and then dont work properley!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok take the cap off the accuator motor. if its got mostior in there wipe it out. if it has a lil rust int there get some fine sand paper and clean it up! this happen to mine b4. what happens is they sweat and then dont work properley!
You talking about the KEBC on the belt drive? Or the actuator on the diff?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ended up taking it to a dealer that doesn't give me a hard time about mods.. Still have 3 years on my warranty
I'll letcha know what it ends up being.. The shop guy seemed to think the front diff actuator is shot. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
I'm not a brute guy but didn't they have problems with the buss connector? I remember reading about all sorts of strange electrical problems.

Just tossing it out there

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had the same problem with mine.. Turned out it WAS the front diff actuator.. What happened on mine was my u-joint was wore out and the pin that engages the 4wd was not lined up anymore, sometimes I would have 4wd and sometimes it would take 10 or 15 minutes for it to kick in..Well eventually it wore out the plastic gears in the actuator trying to go into 4wd because nothing was lined up anymore..It sounds like you're having a similar problem..I don't know about the bf but I ride an arctic cat and my actuator was 300.00 !!!! Hope this helps...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ended up taking it to a dealer that doesn't give me a hard time about mods.. Still have 3 years on my warranty
I'll letcha know what it ends up being.. The shop guy seemed to think the front diff actuator is shot. We'll see.

What was the end result to fix the problem?

·
Registered
87 Posts
this is almost a year old thread

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Blast from the past... It was the actuator on the front diff. The mechanic at the dealer suggested only moving the 2-4wd toggle when at a dead stop. He said he had this issue with his and when he quit moving the toggle while rolling it stopped breaking them. So far that has been true!

·
Registered
6 Posts
i had the same problems... but it was my fuse box the 40 amp not contacting right funny thing everything worked but the 4wd . got it fuse box all cleaned up and works fine now....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts