Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2004 Prairie 700. So my panel says 2WD and will not go into 4WD. No fuses are blown including the main 30A. The switch does have a tear in it. Took it apart & cleaned contacts. Did all diagnostic tests with inconsistent results. Looks like the switch has no voltage but when disconnecting the switch plug and measuring voltage at the connector I have 5V. Tried to jumper the switch with no luck. Unplugged the actuator and jumpered that resulting in the actuator moving. I'm leaning towards the switch but want to be sure before I spend $50. Is there a common problem with the control unit or the speed sensor? The Engine Brake Actuator works fine. Anyone have any ideas????? Thanks Ya'll

·
Registered
284 Posts
Does the speedometer work? It has to register speed for the 4x4 to engage. If the speedo doesn't work you prob need a new speed sensor, then you'll fix both issues.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
jack the atv up and spin the rear wheels. Have the switch in 4wd and you should hear it actuate. Check ebay. I think I saw a switch from a parted out bike on there cheap if you need one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the speedo works fine. I did jack up the rear and ran it switching into 4WD and it does not actuate. I'm going to do the same thing but jumper the connector to see if it's really the switch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an 03' 650 prairie that won't go into four wheel drive. I have traced the wire from the 4x4 acuater and cleaned the connections. I have replaced the 3 fuses under the seat, although they didn't appear blown. When I click the 2x4/4x4 button from 4x4 to 2x4 I can hear a real quiet noise from the acuater. What should I be checking next?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok well after weeks of procrastinating it looks like I found the problem. I tested for voltage at the actuator connector finding no problem. Then pulled the actuator to clean & bench test using a battery charger. 1st thing i noticed was a crack in the vent hose. Once I opened up the actuator, muddy water poured out of it. I spent 2 hours cleaning the gears, case, rotor and stator with lectra-motive, picks, and various brushes. Take care in cleaning the rotor and windings making sure not to damage any contacts and soldered connections. Also make sure the stator (motor cover with magnets) is marked before removal and oriented correctly when reinstalling. Use some emery paper to clean the magnets and the rotor. Apply high temp grease to all the gears and dielectric grease to the shaft and guide bushing of the motor. Spins like a champ now. Thanks for all the input guys. And make sure your vent hose isn't damaged.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
the new ones dont even have vents,sure it can be blocked off,the only ones with vents were 02 03 I think then they started making them closed up no vent

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone have a electrical schematic for the 4wd circuit. My prairrie 700 dosnt change drive modes and there has to be a controller or relay somewhere to actuate the mode change. All Ideas appreciated FYI Switch has continuity or open and there is no power to the switch, as measured at harness when switch is disconnected.

·
Super Moderator
5,289 Posts
Does anyone have a electrical schematic for the 4wd circuit. My prairrie 700 dosnt change drive modes and there has to be a controller or relay somewhere to actuate the mode change. All Ideas appreciated FYI Switch has continuity or open and there is no power to the switch, as measured at harness when switch is disconnected.
If there is no control power to the switch that means there is an error and the CDI has cut power or...there is a bad connection somewhere. If there is no light flashing the system doesn't show an error so it's likely a connection somewhere or a bad CDI or actuator controller. Check all the pins closely on both first. Flush the connectors out with contact cleaner-no dielectric grease in those connections. Outside is OK. There's a starting point. Oh, and if the speedometer doesn't work, replace the speed sensor...or fix the connector. That too will stop it from working.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If there is no control power to the switch that means there is an error and the CDI has cut power or...there is a bad connection somewhere. If there is no light flashing the system doesn't show an error so it's likely a connection somewhere or a bad CDI or actuator controller. Check all the pins closely on both first. Flush the connectors out with contact cleaner-no dielectric grease in those connections. Outside is OK. There's a starting point. Oh, and if the speedometer doesn't work, replace the speed sensor...or fix the connector. That too will stop it from working.
Light is flashing fast all circuits check Ok, I am a 40 yr auto pro. I bought a aftermarket cdi and everything works except failure detection. Any ideas what causes the derate?? The belt swx is on, reset procedure doesn't work

5 Posts
Light is flashing fast all circuits check Ok, I am a 40 yr auto pro. I bought a aftermarket cdi and everything works except failure detection. Any ideas what causes the derate?? The belt swx is on, reset procedure doesn't work
Can't get your belt light to reset? Take a look at our KEBC delete kit, allows you to completely bypass the KEBC actuator and electronics. Reset your belt light and never deal with limp mode again (y) Brute Force - Prairie Kebc Delete + Hole Cover Combo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts