Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2005 Kawasaki 650 brute force. My 4x4 hasn't been working for over a year. I finally got around to taking a look at this. I've pulled the fuse box and fixed the connectors and I've recently pulled both 4x4 actuator and brake actuator off to look at them. I haven't checked if the buss connector fix or speed sensor are there. Where is the speed sensor?

I'm wondering if the brake actuator is not working will that stop the 4x4 from working? Should the reservoir for the brake actuator be filled with oil? or is it a dry brake?

My next plan was to clean it all and test the brake actuator. See pictures of both actuators.

All I need is to get the quad in 4x4 and leave it there forever as I only use the quad to clear snow. Is there a way to manually lock the 4x4 in place?

Appreciate any help. thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought my new brute and joined this site. I can't post links yet because I need five posts. Run a google search for "KEBC Actuator removal".

It's the first search result.

If you don't mind deleting the engine brake, you can solve your problem and give yourself more horsepower. Or maybe you'll find the answer to re-wire to get your 4wd working again.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Justin

·
Registered
48 Posts
Take the front actuator off and use a battery charger to spin the square block to the twelve o'clock and but it back In unhooked and it should stay in 4wd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the brake actuator was fine just dirty. I cleaned it off and it seemed to spin when the quad was rolling around 5mph. The 4x4 actuator was still doing nothing. I stuck a screw driver into the 4x4 actuator opening and pryed it into 4x4 and manually spinned the actuator to the 12 o-clock position put everything back on and it stayed in 4x4. This is all I really needed.

I think if I would've replaced the 4x4 actuator it would've worked.

thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think I have a similar issue. my screen will sometimes flash between 2wd and 4wd. I'm trying to figure out how to fix this [ or what the issue is]
from what I have found here it may be an issue with the accuator. Did your bike do the same thing on the dash screen?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes my quad also flashed from 2WD to 4WD but not always. My next step (if I wanted the ability to switch between 2 and 4 WD) would've been to test the actuator using a battery, then if that worked, start checking the other things that would stop the 4WD actuator from working. (speed sensor, fuze box, buss connector).

good luck. I'm leaving the quad in 4x4 forever so all I needed was a way to put it in 4WD once.

·
Registered
167 Posts
So the brake actuator was fine just dirty. I cleaned it off and it seemed to spin when the quad was rolling around 5mph. The 4x4 actuator was still doing nothing. I stuck a screw driver into the 4x4 actuator opening and pryed it into 4x4 and manually spinned the actuator to the 12 o-clock position put everything back on and it stayed in 4x4. This is all I really needed.

I think if I would've replaced the 4x4 actuator it would've worked.

thank you.
you probably need to clean the actuator.. does the display flash 2wd/4wd when it wont shift?

Nyroc's ATV info website for more details on actuator cleaning including a video

·
Registered
40 Posts
So I'm putting my bike back together after rebuilding my front diff and I was trying to get my actuator in and I couldn't get it to line up properly so I was trying to work it in by tightening the three bolts a little at a time and it cracked the plastic casing a little. I guess I tried to force it a little too much, but anyway it finally fell into place but now my 4wd won't even try to engage. I took the actuator back off and tried to engage the 4wd and nothing moves. I'm wondering if that small crack would be enough to mess up the entire actuator?

·
Registered
167 Posts
So I'm putting my bike back together after rebuilding my front diff and I was trying to get my actuator in and I couldn't get it to line up properly so I was trying to work it in by tightening the three bolts a little at a time and it cracked the plastic casing a little. I guess I tried to force it a little too much, but anyway it finally fell into place but now my 4wd won't even try to engage. I took the actuator back off and tried to engage the 4wd and nothing moves. I'm wondering if that small crack would be enough to mess up the entire actuator?
where is the crack? got a picture?.. cause that small crack could be the motor shaft being pushed through the housing or you might still have it aligned wrong they are a pain in the ass

when I aligned mine I just moved the collar to the position that the actuator was in by hand but it was a pain... I am sure someone else will have a sure fire way to do it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts