Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 550 mule that's not charging. I replaced the stator and regulator, it also has a new battery. Why does it read 12.6 volts across the battery terminals, and 12.9-13 volts from battery positive and the negative lead on voltmeter to the frame? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a 550 mule that's not charging. I replaced the stator and regulator, it also has a new battery. Why does it read 12.6 volts across the battery terminals, and 12.9-13 volts from battery positive and the negative lead on voltmeter to the frame? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
You may have defective battery cable(s)? Look over them carefully and wiggle them. Corroded/loose terminal connectors can create strange problems. If you suspect bad cables, try using a jumper cable to go from a known good chassis ground and directly to the battery. You could do it on the HOT side also, if you can safely connect it. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been wondering about the cables myself. They don't look bad but they certainly have some age on them. I've been messing with it more and have found I have a "weak" charging issue. It will go from 12.6 to 12.9 volts, maybe 13 at the most when running. It actually hits it's peak when you let off the throttle for a second or two. You would think it would have the most output at WOT. I don't really think it's a regulator issue, and I'm not even sure it's the charging coil. Might just put some new cables on since they are cheap, and keep checking connections. Any more advice? Thanks again

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, it cranks over excellent. Haven't had any trouble with the starter turning over slow or not at all.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've been wondering about the cables myself. They don't look bad but they certainly have some age on them. I've been messing with it more and have found I have a "weak" charging issue. It will go from 12.6 to 12.9 volts, maybe 13 at the most when running. It actually hits it's peak when you let off the throttle for a second or two. You would think it would have the most output at WOT. I don't really think it's a regulator issue, and I'm not even sure it's the charging coil. Might just put some new cables on since they are cheap, and keep checking connections. Any more advice? Thanks again

Do you get the same voltage readings when you use the old Regulator? If so, I know you replaced the Stator but I would like to measure the output from your Stator/input to the Voltage Regulator? I think you should measure about 15 VAC across each set of wires and it should vary as you rev it up. I think the Stator has 3 sets of coils so you should read that across each of the 3 output. They say stators don't typically fail but I had to replace them on a 800cc 2007 and 2011 Polaris Sportsman and Ranger.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's the same with the old regulator. Would the stator have 3 wires if it had 3 coils? Mine only has 2. Are both wires supposed to read output voltage? I'm assuming it's grounded to the engine.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's the same with the old regulator. Would the stator have 3 wires if it had 3 coils? Mine only has 2. Are both wires supposed to read output voltage? I'm assuming it's grounded to the engine.

Head scratching . . .? The Stators I have worked with (Polaris) had 3 wires. If yours only has two, I would think both should read the same to chassis ground. What is the exact year and model of the Mule you are working on? Provide that and I will try to do some research on that. Can you provide a photo of the old Stator you replaced?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's either a '97 or '99 550 mule. Sorry I don't have a picture of the old stator, that went to the dump all ready. Haven't had much time to work on it the last few days. Hoping tomorrow I can get some work done on it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's either a '97 or '99 550 mule. Sorry I don't have a picture of the old stator, that went to the dump all ready. Haven't had much time to work on it the last few days. Hoping tomorrow I can get some work done on it.

Checkout this video where a guy is troubleshooting his charging system.
On his bike the stator AC output was considerably higher than what I mentioned about. His measured around 65 VAC! So, it appears I got bum scoop from another website! It would be interesting to see what yours is putting out? I say that because you said, changing the Voltage Regulator didn't make a difference so that has me wanting to see what the Stator's output voltage is. I found a diagram showing your Stator with only two wires.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts