41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Hi all

I have fitted the key this evening, BUT it doesnt seem to idle properly unless i increase the idle speed, am i missing something do i need to tweek something else after fitting?

The only mods on my 700 is a slip on end can from a motorcycle (which pops when i release the throttle) and the 6 degree key

thanks
Ok--Now one of the guys chimed in and said he had to jet up a little on the mains and open the a/f screw a little and it smoothed out for him---With the popping you described it may be a little lean---Did you try that---Just curious as to why you chose to advance your timing with a 6* key as your first mod.

Also---Did you install the key like in picture #2.

Kenny

·
Registered
95 Posts
So is there a reason that advancing the timing wouldn't be one of the first mods? Back in the old days of hotrodding, one of the first mods was to advance the timing over stock, right along with drilling out the jets (eeeww, I know, but there were no jet kits then, even for cars).

I only delayed that mod because I was trying to get the quads running correctly first. That way, when I got popping after the 6* key, I knew right where to go.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Back to the original question - go to Radio Shack, get some very tiny (thin) #4 flat washers. Take your needles out and put a washer under each one, then try it again. You'll probably have to close the mixture screw back down to start (1.5 turns) afterward. If it only makes a small change, try a second washer on the needles.

How To: Shim Carb Needle

I do not have access to an A/F meter, so my mods are more seat-of-the-pants and general experience with gas motors.... there may be other guys who have better tools that you might want to get advice from, too.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
:tup: Nice job jamesworts!!!!
I personally haven't done the 6* key yet...or I would've helped you even without the sig...
But somebody'll chime in soon and get ya fixed up...
Although I was being sarcastic, I wasn't trying to be a dick, and it's only because I had to learn the "lay of the land" so to speek around here as well....still learning it really...
Welcome aboard!!!
Ed3:D

·
Registered
47 Posts
thanks guys, however, Radio Shack? used to have a radio shack(was a different name) but have'nt had one in england that i know of for at least ten years! LOL, we have Maplin and RS maybe i can get some from there??

as for doing key as first mod, It's the cheapest mod i can get from the US, yes i did fit key correctly (key to the left in a counterclockwise direction)

I have'nt tried adjusting mixture or anything yet as i wanted to get a general idea from you experts first,

She currently gets up to about 75mph so not sure sure there is much wrong with it.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
95 Posts
In the US, Radio Shack has tiny, very thin washers. Any electronics repair store/shop (not a big box) should have tiny washers. I'm sure you can get expensive aftermarket needles someplace, but the washers are a cheaper method to similar results.

75 MPH? I guess I'm old, I can barely hang on approaching 50. I have noticed that my buddies in their 20's can make my quads go a lot faster than I can (driving). I make my quads go faster than thiers, but only with the same driver, which is not me. My Raptor, for example, is faster that my buddy's KFX 450, with the comparison being either him driving both, or me driving both. Whichever one he drives is faster, when we ride together, no matter which one we are on. My Quadzilla is slower than a turbocharged rail buggy when I drive the quad, and faster when a buddy drives.:lol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
So no one has said a hundred percent key way to the front or back please help due to I'm getting one in this week

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
So no one has said a hundred percent key way to the front or back please help due to I'm getting one in this week
Start at post # 8 and re read.......

41 - 49 of 49 Posts