Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have a clue what the factory primary clutch spring rate may be?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well... is measuring a spring's rate possible? if so, is it just straight forward as measuring the pounds on a scale at the 2 different lengths?

·
Registered
23 Posts
yes it is possible to measure a spring rate

whats the application in other words, why do you want to know. alot of times people go with a heavier spring in order to make the clutch engage a bit faster. You would have to know how small the spring is suppose to get in order to maintain that load. In other words, when you put the spring on you will compress it some. You have to know the length when its full compressed. In order to get the right spring rate.

Seems like i would try to use factory or aftermarket stuff. i reallly don't know your application. But stronger is better as long as you don't go overboard.

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
I think they use the stock prairie 650 spring. it's a solid plain spring with no color or stripe. they are a zero stall and about a 135-140 shiftout. very wimpy spring.

try a spring like the Dalton Blue or EPI pink in it. 0-158 ish You don't want to get too stiff of a spring as they are only 400cc and will not like revving that high.

the stock springs are weak and collapse after time. they are a different clutch with the square faceplate and the wide spider.

John

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think they use the stock prairie 650 spring. it's a solid plain spring with no color or stripe. they are a zero stall and about a 135-140 shiftout. very wimpy spring.

try a spring like the Dalton Blue or EPI pink in it. 0-158 ish You don't want to get too stiff of a spring as they are only 400cc and will not like revving that high.

the stock springs are weak and collapse after time. they are a different clutch with the square faceplate and the wide spider.

John

i think it only revs to 4k, will that have it hitting the governor?

i have seen people on utility forums talking about using the kfx 700 spring, that was going to be my next step...

the only post i have found anywhere on line listing rpm stated that the 610 spring sift out was @ 2500, and with the kfx spring it was raised to 3000...

john, does that sound right?

thanks for any feedback

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
The Vforce spring isn't that much stiffer. if at all. they are similar. it looks like a 2002 p-650 stock spring. The weights in the mule are thick and lumpy. that keeps the RPM's down as they are only geared for 30 mph if that. I think they shiftout in the 3000 range stock.

Now a stock Teryx spring would probably be the ticket they are about 150 shiftout range. I have probably 50 of them here. if you want one you can have it for the cost of shipping.

You can do the throttle governor mod by drilling a hole in it by the backside where the spring goes to let it overrev. that way, you can ruin the motor as the throttle is governed by the metering rod. you can get prob 35 -36 mph out of it that way.

John

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i would hate to blow it up by removing the governor, my wife drives it along with friends and other family...

i just want a little more for hill climbs and pulling loads...

let me know on the shipping 72118

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh, i didn't even notice

·
Premium Member
9,455 Posts
The Vforce spring isn't that much stiffer. if at all. they are similar. it looks like a 2002 p-650 stock spring. The weights in the mule are thick and lumpy. that keeps the RPM's down as they are only geared for 30 mph if that. I think they shiftout in the 3000 range stock.

Now a stock Teryx spring would probably be the ticket they are about 150 shiftout range. I have probably 50 of them here. if you want one you can have it for the cost of shipping.

You can do the throttle governor mod by drilling a hole in it by the backside where the spring goes to let it overrev. that way, you can ruin the motor as the throttle is governed by the metering rod. you can get prob 35 -36 mph out of it that way.

John
How would that spring work in a 550 mule??

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i finally got around to installing the teryx primary spring in the 610... it now pulls as hard in high as it did low range before, and low range is insane

thanks again john...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts