Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) Hi !

I'm new to Kawasaki ATV's and their clutch systems.
( so I'm trying to learn )

1. Where to find rebuild kits for the clutches ?
2. Which year models have the same primary clutch and thereby are interchangeable ?
3. Any company that sells clutch upgrades for the Kawasaki clutches ?

4. KEBC, I never ride down steep slopes or steep terrain, Do I need it ?
5. Is it doable to use the drive clutch from KFX700 on the 650 V-twin ?

6. What's the point of the drive belt warning light ?

🤔

·
Registered
245 Posts
The clutches are all interchangeable. The differences are in the springs and ramp weights. So yes, you can use a KFX700 clutch, but you will have to change the ramp weights or the rev/shift out won’t be correct for the specific bike.

There’s not really a rebuild “kit”. If you have to replace the spacers/shoes, spider, or sheaves, you have to order those individually from a Kawi dealer or parts place like Partzilla, Babbits, or Motosport. Go to one of those sites and enter you make/model info to see exploded diagrams. Also, you’ll need to reference a manual to know what specs the individual parts will need to be. You can download the manuals online and it’s a good place to wrap your head around what you’re about to dive into.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
People usually leave the clutch rebuilding or clutch mods to vforcejohn @ Interstate Motorsports. He can be found on facebook or on this site under the vendor page.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
1. The clutches are all interchangeable.
The differences are in the springs and ramp weights.
Yes, you can use a KFX700 clutch, but you will have to change the ramp weights or the rev/shift out won’t be correct for the specific bike.

2. There’s not really a rebuild “kit”.
If you have to replace the spacers/shoes, spider, or sheaves, you have to order those individually from a Kawi dealer or parts place like Partzilla, Babbits, or Motosport.
Go to one of those sites and enter you make/model info to see exploded diagrams.
Also, you’ll need to reference a manual to know what specs the individual parts will need to be.
You can download the manuals online and it’s a good place to wrap your head around what you’re about to dive into.
1. Which models and year models have interchangeable clutches ?
( I have a 2005 650 V-twin carb. )

2. I am very familiar with snowmobiles since 35 years back, so I have no problem rebuilding these CVT clutches
Are there no aftermarket kits available ?
(containing bushings and rollers etc)

People usually leave the clutch rebuilding or clutch mods to: [email protected] Motorsports
He can be found on facebook or on this site under the vendor page.
Since I am on the other side of the world,
...in Sweden it is out of the question to send the clutches to him or anybody else in USA/Canada.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah it's weird with kawi clutches. I'm used to snowmobile and can am clutches. So easy to work on, between the kebc and way kawi cvts are put together just seems stupid. But you don't need to pull 15 minutes of plastics to get at them at least :)

·
Registered
245 Posts

2. I am very familiar with snowmobiles since 35 years back, so I have no problem rebuilding these CVT clutches

...in Sweden it is out of the question to send the clutches to him or anybody else in USA/Canada.
No kit that I’ve ever seen. Have to look in the manual to see how to measure the shoe clearances so you order the correct size.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts

From The Ground Up Powersports is a new Clutch rebuilder.... I don't know if they are reputable or not....

·
Premium Member
10,218 Posts
From The Ground Up Powersports is a new Clutch rebuilder.... I don't know if they are reputable or not....
That would be a NOT. Some people use them but they are just trying to copy VFJ clutches. I think they may have even been started by a guy that had at least one of his modified clutches blow apart.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,218 Posts
No kit that I’ve ever seen. Have to look in the manual to see how to measure the shoe clearances so you order the correct size.
Per VFJ, you don't necessarily need to buy new spider buttons. You can also buy 14mm OD stainless steel shim washers of various thicknesses to shim out the buttons to the proper clearance to the movable sheave. This is what I plan on doing when I rebuild my 12 year old VFJ Stage 3 clutch. I have all the tools to separate the primary clutch.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts