Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2006 650i with 1800 mi.
Figured due to age I should change the belt?
How many miles do you guys usually get on a belt before replacement?

I ride pretty much desert terrain, not too hard, primarily for hunting.
I do not notice any slippage or burning or other symptoms.
I have a dyna CDI and it bypasses the belt light reset. (Thank God)
thx for responses

·
Super Moderator
4,974 Posts
It all depends on the usage. Some people can't get a day out of one where others get 5000 miles. For the average rider who is "In Tune" with his machine that services the belt and clutches on a regular bases...that is checks and adjusts the deflection every 1000 miles keeping it between 22-25mm and keeps the clutches clean and working correctly, it's not unheard of for 3-4 thousand miles (and more) between belt changes.. on average. My last belt, which was a Teryx belt, only needed adjusting once and still measured as near new when I sold mine and it had over 3900 miles on that belt. I would have gotten at least 2000 more miles before age and dry rot got to it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Understood.
Truthfully, I haven’t opened the cover and looked at either my ‘06 or ‘09 BF 650’s belts.
But I live in the desert and they have both been garaged the whole time, so environmentally they have been weather protected and never been wet other than the occasional creek crossing. (Shallow)
Appreciate your response, would you happen to have the Teryx belt number for my BF’s?

I see you sold your ‘06 BF, what are you riding now?
Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
4,974 Posts
Understood.
Truthfully, I haven’t opened the cover and looked at either my ‘06 or ‘09 BF 650’s belts.
But I live in the desert and they have both been garaged the whole time, so environmentally they have been weather protected and never been wet other than the occasional creek crossing. (Shallow)
Appreciate your response, would you happen to have the Teryx belt number for my BF’s?

I see you sold your ‘06 BF, what are you riding now?
Thanks again!
Just get the one for the 09. You will have to re-shim the secondary to get the deflection correct as it is slightly different then the old BFs but so well worth it. This was a tip from VFJ that was worth it's weight.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OMG
Just watched your 2020 vid with my THX speakers cranked!
Simply awesome
I feel like a shithead asking what your riding now... I see :(

What do you think of the Kawasaki Teryx KRX ?
I'm thinking I'm getting tired of working on the brutes....
Thx man

·
Super Moderator
4,974 Posts
There's a new Brute or Can Am 1000XT-P or Xxc in my future but for now I just have a CF Moto Z Force 800 SxS. I would love to own a Teryx or KRX but..being retired for me.. means can't have the high-dollar toys.. :)

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
There's a new Brute or Can Am 1000XT-P or Xxc in my future but for now I just have a CF Moto Z Force 800 SxS. I would love to own a Teryx or KRX but..being retired for me.. means can't have the high-dollar toys.. :)
I will be turning 56 this year, and I would like something new, I will probably buy another atv. Either a Brute, Grizzly, or an Outlander. I have time to look.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
dmann,
I have followed yours and NM’s posts for years.
Both have been very helpful.
I am in my 60’s but not yet retired; soon tho.

If you were to recommend an atv for older riders not really wanting to wrench and mod,
what would that be?
These carb’d 650’s are a bitch to keep clean, seems fuel is not what it used to be?
I use non-corn syrup fuel always.
FI sure seems much better all the way around.
I looked at Teryx KRX, but too much jing $$$ for me.
mostly trail riding.
Is the BF still best of the bunch?
thx

·
Super Moderator
4,974 Posts
dmann,

If you were to recommend an atv for older riders not really wanting to wrench and mod,
what would that be?
These carb’d 650’s are a bitch to keep clean, seems fuel is not what it used to be?
mostly trail riding.
thx
IMO the Brute is still the best bang for the buck. EFI and P/S is a must. However some of the others in stock configuration do give a smoother ride but a set of Elkas and tires fixes that on the Brute. But get a 2015 or newer. Let those carbed machines go to the kids or collectors. :)

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
A Brute Force is first choice FI or a carbed, a Grizzly rides smoothest in the 4x4 class and holds up like a Brute, but you have a wet clutch and a cvt belt you have to deal with at some point, and an Outlander for speed.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
dmann,

what would that be?
mostly trail riding.
thx
I never have issues with my carbs, but I do add Seafoam to the tank frequently.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I fixed my carb problem today, permanently.
I found a 2021 KRX for sale at a dealer I bought my brutes from and he treated me kind and right.
Brand new, trail model
Thing is... a... BEAST !!!

Guess I gotta switch forums now?
Gonna get the brutes all shiny and sold like NMK told me to. :p

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I found a 2021 KRX for sale at a dealer I bought my brutes from and he treated me kind and right.
Brand new, trail model

Congratulations - It rides like a Cadillac through the woods and climbs like a mountain goat.

·
Super Moderator
4,974 Posts
Brand new, trail model

Whoa-now...it's your choice...lol. And a KRX is still a Kawasaki so this is still your forum. I'm also Jealous..wish I could have a KRX. :)

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Vforcejohn makes a lot of upgrades for the KRX - He has his own page on facebook ( KRX 1000 HEADQUARTERS ).
He can reprogram your oem computer to make your machine faster .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts