Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 750 Brute Force 4x4i.........Belt light came on and in limp mode .........165 hrs........
OK ...I adjusted the belt by taking out the a shim to get it in specs on the belt deflection.....put it all back....reset the belt light........everything works fine except when its in Low Range. I can take off for a bit in low range and let off and it sounds like every gear in the machine has been stripped out. It sounds like the noise is @ or under the converter pully cover. I've got the cover off now and looking into the engine brake control, the drive pully and so forth but haven't checked all specs (measurements) yet.
The noise is grinding, clattering, and then when the machine is almost stopped it clears up.............

Thanks for your help and experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!
camo joe

·
Registered
99 Posts
ive heard of people putting i think the primary on too far and something rubbingit was something on that order . im getting kinda old ill try to remember where i read it

·
Registered
64 Posts
Is the noise only present when you are de-accellerating? Or can you hear it when accelerating aswell? If it is only when you are letting off the throttle, you might want to look at your engine brake inside the CVT cover. Perhaps the actuator came out of the pin that it rides in? I'm just guessing, but its easy to pull the three bolts to check.

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
My shift linkage is noisy only when I am in Low, could that be what you are hearing.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Check your motor mount bolts, bottom front and rear. They are notorious for being loose. Easy fix if that's it.

·
Super Moderator
12,642 Posts
Check your motor mount bolts, bottom front and rear. They are notorious for being loose. Easy fix if that's it.
That ties into the shift linkage theory, the engine moves under load, and that shifts the position of the linkage.
Both the motor mounts being loose and the linkage being out of adjustment without the mounts being loose were very common problems on SRA BF's and Prairies. It always happens in low range and when letting off the throttle.
I think bfb650b2 is safe; nothing should be broken. I thought mine was going to blow up the first time it happened, lol.

·
Registered
259 Posts
did you take any of the clutches off? and if so did you torque them to the right foot pound?

·
Super Moderator
12,642 Posts
It's the linkage adjustment or the motor mounts. 'Nuff said.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yep!

did you take any of the clutches off? and if so did you torque them to the right foot pound?
The primary and secondary or drive pully and driven pully.........
Yes they were taken off and torqued correctly to 69 ft. lbs. when reinstalled as the service manual states.

·
Super Moderator
12,642 Posts
It's the linkage adjustment or the motor mounts. 'Nuff said.
Hey (me waving hand to get your attention) Camo Joe, this IS the problem. Don't worry about the clutches; they're fine.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK will check!

OK Thanks for the input .........I'll check these things when I get back to it. Sure hope its simple and easy to fix............I'm ready to ride!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Camo Joe jumping up and down!!!!!!!!!!!

NovaKaw650........."Nuff said"

"Nuff said" is RIGHT ! You guys were right on. Nothing like experience.

I checked the motor mounts......front bottom and upper rear and brackets and put some more torque on them, adjusted the shifter linkage (which is really sensitive)........took it out for a test drive and "Hell Yes!"
I dogged it hard several times accelerating and decelerating with no braking and everything worked and sounded as it should. Now gonna install a horn and button and wake up the neighbors about midnight.........

Again .....Thanks for your help and keep your powder dry!

·
Super Moderator
12,642 Posts
The linkage adjustment is very sensitive.
Time to ride!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts