Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trying to help out a buddy of mine, and we can't figure this one out yet. Noticed his pipes were glowing the other night, and he quit riding it. He is snorkeled and has Hmf s/o and optimizer. We have tried the settings on the optimizer, even though it's a piece of junk, I don't think it's the problem.

He has been running fine for 6-8 months, but all of a sudden we noticed it glowing. And it hasn't been doing it before now, because we mostly ride at night, and would have noticed it before now.

Checked to make sure for air leaks, but everything is good. I'm reading the manual and leaning towards one of the sensors being bad. The bike runs fine, but the pipes are glowing, so............. Any help is appreciated guys.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Dont know much about these bikes but on FI motors injectors, or Fuel pump could cause a lean condition. The computer can only adjust so much, especially when its telling the injector to do more but whey cant. Both can be tested pretty easy to eliminate what you can.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
247 Posts
^^^ I agree, the pressure regulator could be the culprit here.Sadly though there is no way to test it, other than putting in a new fuel pump, as the regulator is built in and cannot be removed.You can however do the pump voltage test and a fuel pressure test found in the service manual to help narrow it down.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Ive read on HMF web site that 6"-8" of glowing header pipe is ok. because i had the same problem with my rear header. when it cools off it should be a blueish color

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Do you have a fuel controller to add fuel? If not I have mine for sale

·
Registered
1,998 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, he has a crappy optimizer.
Didn't have any trouble with mine. It has to be tuned properly to.
Well, I wasn't very impressed by it. It kinda reminds me of the Moose ignition module vs Dynatek......for a $100 you can get a little low end grunt......for $74 more, you get the whole shabang....:tup:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Ive read on HMF web site that 6"-8" of glowing header pipe is ok. because i had the same problem with my rear header. when it cools off it should be a blueish color
I do not have experience with the injected brutes but as an auto mechanic if the exhaust is hot enough to make the pipe glow then it is hot enough to burn the exhaust valves.This is not a good condition.
If you look in the owners manual for a carbed Harley it tells you that a little pinging is normal and to not worry about it.If you have an understanding of what is going on to cause pinging then you know with every ping alittle of the piston is chipped away.So don't always believe what you read.If they say it is ok that could mean it won't cause any damage while under the products warrenty.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I do not have experience with the injected brutes but as an auto mechanic if the exhaust is hot enough to make the pipe glow then it is hot enough to burn the exhaust valves.This is not a good condition.
If you look in the owners manual for a carbed Harley it tells you that a little pinging is normal and to not worry about it.If you have an understanding of what is going on to cause pinging then you know with every ping alittle of the piston is chipped away.So don't always believe what you read.If they say it is ok that could mean it won't cause any damage while under the products warrenty.
AGREED. It would be nice to see an E.G.T. gauge reading. My bet is that it is running EXTREMELY lean.

·
Registered
406 Posts
This past weekend i experienced the same condition. The front 6-8 " of my factory muffler looked as though they were going to drip right off the quad. My quad is factory with an engine snorkle. 09 750 500kilometers. This was after a couple miles of high speed (WOT) running. The engine sounded fine,ran strong and had no signs of detonation or bogging. I think these are just normal operating conditions because my 05 650 sra did the same after a (WOT) run.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm convinced it's real lean. I even covered the intake pipe about 3/4 and it still still started glowing. And it does it from mid-wot.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Has he cleaned his air filter lately? Maybe the filter is really plugged.
That would only make it run richer. Have you checked valve clearances? You could have a tight exhaust valve.......

·
Registered
406 Posts
Every time i open my gas cap it sucks air (woosh sound),wonder if the pump is starving because of shitty vent and reg only can compensate so far?= lean at high rpm.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Every time i open my gas cap it sucks air (woosh sound),wonder if the pump is starving because of shitty vent and reg only can compensate so far?= lean at high rpm.
Good indicator of a vent line plugged or a check valve not working. Is there mud in the check valve by the right side of the seat? There should never be pressure on the gas cap.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Good indicator of a vent line plugged or a check valve not working. Is there mud in the check valve by the right side of the seat? There should never be pressure on the gas cap.
Agreed that it might have a plugged vent line. But...I think you meant "vacuum". This would cause a fuel starvation issue and subsequent lean-out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Whoops you are correct. Vacuum is what I meant to say. Thanks for the correction.
Isn't the pressure valve only supposed to let pressure out of the tank, and not air in? Everyone that I talked to say that theirs makes that sucking woosh when they open the tank. Also aren't all FI systems supposed to be pressurized? I know that if they are not on the new vehicles, it can throw the check engine light on, like if you forget to put the cap back on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts