Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone... I have an 86 Kawasaki Bayou KLF300A (Technically only the frame is the 300A model, I suspect the engine is different.) I've put a new carb on it back in the spring of last year... One day it just stopped running and I tried and tried to get it to start it and it wouldn't start. I tore it all apart and had to rebuild the engine. It's 20 over now. Then I had to have the starter rebuilt. All I can get it to do is back fire out the intake and exhaust I've timed it by the book (300 mark) and even (180 200 250 marks) still just back fires. I've put a new spark plug and gapd at .028 (NGK iridum) (DR8EIX) spark plug. I'm getting a good hot blue spark is this what im supposed to be getting? Ever since I had had this atv when I crank it over it turns most of the time but is slow... the starter turns but engine does not than engine trys to trun over back and forth like that. It has a new battery with a full charge of 12.6v most of the time its at 13.0v. I've read other forums where they say the one-way roller clutch might be bad and thats what causes this to happen... Not sure what to do at this point I've tried almost everything... can any one help me out before I decide to blow it up for good....? :confused: thanks matt :confused:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello everyone... I have an 86 Kawasaki Bayou KLF300A (Technically only the frame is the 300A model, I suspect the engine is different.)Your book will show you where to look for the engine number and you can research it on the net
I've put a new carb on it back in the spring of last year... One day it just stopped running and I tried and tried to get it to start it and it wouldn't start.you have 2 keyways on the engine, if you sheared either one it wont run. I tore it all apart and had to rebuild the engine. It's 20 over now. Then I had to have the starter rebuilt.Did you replace the bushing in the ends of the starter if it had them. All I can get it to do is back fire out the intake and exhaust I've timed it by the book (300 mark) and even (180 200 250 marks) still just back fires.If your book says time at the "300" mark don't play around with other settings. I dont have a book on your engine but the 300 Lakota engine is straight forward on begining timing. And advanced timing I've put a new spark plug and gapd at .028 (NGK iridum) (DR8EIX) spark plug. I'm getting a good hot blue spark is this what im supposed to be getting?yes Ever since I had had this atv when I crank it over it turns most of the time but is slow...Take the plug out and spin it, it it spins slow your starter is weak or the battery is also, might have a dead cell. the starter turns but engine does not than engine trys to trun over back and forth like that.(???) It has a new battery with a full charge of 12.6v most of the time its at 13.0v.I have seen batterys go out in a month. I've read other forums where they say the one-way roller clutch might be bad and thats what causes this to happen... Not sure what to do at this point I've tried almost everything... can any one help me out before I decide to blow it up for good....? :confused: thanks matt :confused:
Timing is straight forward, piston at top dead center, line up the mark in the bottom of the engine if it is like the Lakota,and the cam so it is ready to open the intake valve, and put the cam chain on and make sure the marks line up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey b.tetra,

We have looked ALL OVER the engine and cannot find the engine number nor the vin number anywhere on it. If we time it at the 300 mark it blows out the intake... if we time it at the 220/250 mark it does what its supposed to.

We're not sure if the keyways/pins are sheared because it will try to run... it's doing this weird thing where when you turn the key to 'on' and push the button to try to start it it will turn over a few times.... and then all of a sudden it stops turning over but still trying to start. If we spray starter fluid into it it will fire somewhat.

The starter has been rebuilt, so I should have had titled this thread "STARTING Issues" not 'Starter issues'. There's a new starter chain in it also. And it cannot be the battery because, as said before, it DOES have a full charge. I've seen batteries go out quickly too, but this one is fine, it's giving us good spark and everything.

We will take off the engine cover, what houses the alternator, and try to start it and have a look inside to see if it might be a sheared keyway or pin.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey b.tetra,

We have looked ALL OVER the engine and cannot find the engine number nor the vin number anywhere on it.
Look under the carb. at the engine, right side you should see a flat area about 3/4 wide by 1 1/2 long, at the bottom of the jug. Clean with 4/0 steel wool only, sand paper may wipe out the numbers. You may have to use a flash light because the numbers are not that deep.

On the left side in front of where your toe would be , on the bottom of the frame rail is the serial number, 17 digits, clean with steel wool.

If we time it at the 300 mark it blows out the intake..

It is firing on the intake stroke.

if we time it at the 220/250 mark it does what its supposed to.
is the engine trying to fire, going poom, poom, poom,:) if so it is trying to crank. Have you put an after market cam sprocket on it?.

We're not sure if the keyways/pins are sheared because it will try to run... it's doing this weird thing where when you turn the key to 'on' and push the button to try to start it it will turn over a few times.... and then all of a sudden it stops turning over but still trying to start.
If the engine is turning over and stops for a moment and starts turning again or completely stops it is firing on the bottom of the 2nd . or 3rd. cycle,
If we spray starter fluid into it it will fire somewhat.

Never ever, ever spray starter fluid in a ATV engine, yes some do it and get away it, till one day it "hand grenades" and blows the top off of the engine or the rod comes through the side of the jug. This stuff is also a powerful solvent, it washes the oil film off the valve stem, and the film off the cylinder wall.

The starter has been rebuilt, so I should have had titled this thread "STARTING Issues" not 'Starter issues'. There's a new starter chain in it also. And it cannot be the battery because, as said before, it DOES have a full charge. I've seen batteries go out quickly too, but this one is fine, it's giving us good spark and everything.
Take the plug out, cut off the gas, open the throttle wide open, crank the engine over, if it turns normal, "great", if not you have a starter or battery issue.

We will take off the engine cover, what houses the alternator, and try to start it and have a look inside to see if it might be a sheared keyway or pin.
You need to systematically start eliminating problems, know something is right before trying something new. Know the timing is right, getting fuel, good spark, new plug gapped right, etc.:)
Now here is a trick that is used on $50. dollars and $50 thousand dollars engines, get a squirt bottle and and put some good "weed eater" gas mix in it. give it a squirt, and try to crank it. Don't laugh I have seen top NASCAR engine builders do this on a engine that did not want to start.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey b.tetra,

We have looked ALL OVER the engine and cannot find the engine number nor the vin number anywhere on it.

Look under the carb. at the engine, right side you should see a flat area about 3/4 wide by 1 1/2 long, at the bottom of the jug. Clean with 4/0 steel wool only, sand paper may wipe out the numbers. You may have to use a flash light because the numbers are not that deep.

On the left side in front of where your toe would be , on the bottom of the frame rail is the serial number, 17 digits, clean with steel wool.

Okay, so apparently the motor WAS 300A, but before we rebuilt the starter it wouldn't time there properly... and then AFTER we had the starter rebuilt it would... I don't really understand this, being the wife of the husband speaking, but whatevs.

If we time it at the 300 mark it blows out the intake..

It is firing on the intake stroke.

if we time it at the 220/250 mark it does what its supposed to.
is the engine trying to fire, going poom, poom, poom,:) if so it is trying to crank. Have you put an after market cam sprocket on it?.

No, the cam sprocket is original, but it's timed properly now anyway... now we have different problems, imagine that! :p

We're not sure if the keyways/pins are sheared because it will try to run... it's doing this weird thing where when you turn the key to 'on' and push the button to try to start it it will turn over a few times.... and then all of a sudden it stops turning over but still trying to start.
If the engine is turning over and stops for a moment and starts turning again or completely stops it is firing on the bottom of the 2nd . or 3rd. cycle,

Apparently none of the keyways or pins are sheared, they're all in good shape.

If we spray starter fluid into it it will fire somewhat.

Never ever, ever spray starter fluid in a ATV engine, yes some do it and get away it, till one day it "hand grenades" and blows the top off of the engine or the rod comes through the side of the jug. This stuff is also a powerful solvent, it washes the oil film off the valve stem, and the film off the cylinder wall.

Your friendly warning has been heeded. :)

Take the plug out, cut off the gas, open the throttle wide open, crank the engine over, if it turns normal, "great", if not you have a starter or battery issue.

We figured out the issue was BETWEEN the starter and the battery... the wires have been jimmy-rigged and we're losing about 2 Volts every time we try to crank it over. The battery is still going in for testing, but we have found burnt and bad places in the wiring harness, so we'll probably have to get a new one of those as well.

You need to systematically start eliminating problems, know something is right before trying something new. Know the timing is right, getting fuel, good spark, new plug gapped right, etc.:)

Now here is a trick that is used on $50. dollars and $50 thousand dollars engines, get a squirt bottle and and put some good "weed eater" gas mix in it. give it a squirt, and try to crank it. Don't laugh I have seen top NASCAR engine builders do this on a engine that did not want to start.
Nice tricks! :) Thanks for all of your helpful info! :lol:

·
Registered
30 Posts
yep I would say starter clutch is bad. I just replaced mine last month,not a hard job. Think if you put socket on bolt head on alternator rotor it should turn one direction only.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey texasaw
im pretty sure thats my problem with mine i can trun it both dirction. plus the gear behind the alt that the starter chain goes around i can rock it in and out about 1in n half dont think its supost to do that. how much did u have to pay for a new one.

matt

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey jblack, im not interested in sell mine just yet iv got to much time and money tie up in it to sell it. plus i need it runing again so i can haul wood out of the wood for winter time.
matt

·
Registered
12 Posts
hey jblack, im not interested in sell mine just yet iv got to much time and money tie up in it to sell it. plus i need it runing again so i can haul wood out of the wood for winter time.
matt
I also have some bayous for sale or trade, that's why I asked the location.

·
Registered
30 Posts
hey texasaw
im pretty sure thats my problem with mine i can trun it both dirction. plus the gear behind the alt that the starter chain goes around i can rock it in and out about 1in n half dont think its supost to do that. how much did u have to pay for a new one.

matt
$100.00,think bought on ebay,ill check.....lot of parts on ebay

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i buy a lot of stuff from ebay i have it save to my whatch list its like $99 plus $9.99 for shipping. like you said i shoulding be able to trun it both diriction either so hope thats my porblem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i got my bayou finale runing just a lil whail ago. i checked and recheck the timeing and found i had it 180 out so redid it. well it started up and die sevel times had to adjust the thorlth cable it was close all the way. thanks for every thing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking for KLF 300a Magneto Flywheel

Hello, I have a 86 klf 300a. the magnets in the rotor are cracked and chipping. looking for another one but have had some issues locating the right one. as well from all diagrams that i see there is space in between the magnets. I dont have that on the rotor i took off. it is best described as filled all the way around with filled gaps in between the magnets. Numbers on the rotor are F3T312 72 9901. Can anyone tell me what this flywheel goes too. i would like to get this replaced since i have redone everything else.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hello i dont know a lot about how accurate this info is but this is what i found out on Kawasaki main web/home page the number f3t312 is for the 1989-2000 year models.
Kawasaki KLF300 KEF300 Flywheel Lakota Bayou 1989-2000 KLF KEF F3T312 i have a book on these years if you dont ill look it up and i should be able to tell you

·
Registered
4 Posts
jblack, could you possibly pm me about some parts????? I'm in Jackson County and having a time and a half out of my unknown year (vin is gone) klf300

·
Registered
12 Posts
jblack, could you possibly pm me about some parts????? I'm in Jackson County and having a time and a half out of my unknown year (vin is gone) klf300
With a picture of the plastic, I can get pretty close to the year of your bayou, although almost everything will interchange on the 220's, with other 220's and 250's.
The 300 bayous will interchange with other 300 bayous as well,
"almost everything"
sometimes the CDI boxes will have different plug-ins that's about the only thing different, that I can think of right now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts