Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I bought a 1990 Mojave about a month ago that wouldn't start. I paid a mechanic $500 to get it to start, and I just got it back from him-but guess what!? It's leaking oil, from what I believe is the connection between the carburetor and the engine/cylinder head. I have attached a picture of where the leak is coming from, as well as a picture of the parts I think will fix the leak. I am the kind of person that has NO IDEA about mechanics, and I actually had to Google the name of the part that the oil is leaking from.

The leak is a drip. It forms at the spot where I pointed to in the picture, and then drips off onto the bottom frame of the quad. It drips faster when the quad is ridden harder/longer, and it drips a slower when I just start it and let it idle.

So, as the picture illustrates, the the oil leaks out of the (carb holder/carb clamp that connects it to the engine. From what I can see, the droplets form between parts 16065 and 92037, and the droplet drips off of part 92037. My question is: Do you think that the parts I circled on the diagram will fix the leak? Or do you think the leak is totally unrelated to the parts I circled.

I really appreciate the help guys, it's just I can't pay anyone to fix it (because this ripoff mechanic cleaned me out), so I have to do it myself.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
There shouldn't be any oil in that area...only fuel & air

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that's what I gathered from reading this forum + others, so I don't know why it is happening. The droplets that are forming are definitely not gas, so I am assuming it is oil. Also, I one time a drop or two dropped onto the exhaust pipe and started smoking. Clear, thick, and some blackish/brownish residue to it. I really think it is oil. Do you have any idea why this could be happening, or what I should do to fix it?

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
If there was oil in there your exhaust would be smoking pretty heavily I would think

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well the oil (or what I strongly believe to be oil) is dripping from the location I circled in the photo. It pools up on the quad frame underneath the carb/carb intake thing, and runs off onto the ground. When I was trying to wipe it up, I dropped some onto the exhaust pipe, and thats when I noticed that it smoked. going onto the exhaust pipe is not a regular occurrence. Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
549 Posts
this makes no sense but I'll say it anyways, oil from the air filter?
other than that I'd just say its oil coming from the valve cover and you're not seeing it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i'd check the rubber gasket for the valve cover...there are six bolts to take that off and you should be able to get at them with the motor still in the frame.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Valve cover maybe or and are you sure it ain't got too much oil cause on mine when I bought it had almost a gal in it but was leaking out the tube it supose to maybe yours could be missing that shooting it up and driping back down have to look at mine to see if possable but can you get better pics or maybe even a vid kinda hard to see what's really going on

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will make a video of it. great Idea I hadn't even thought of that. I will do that tomorrow and put it up...got class all day today. Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
721 Posts
If it's oil, it would make sense that the longer you rode it the faster it would leak. The viscosity will decrease as temperature increases and it will leak out faster. For it to be oil though, it would have to be coming from the valve cover above the carb holder. If it's seeping out of there, running down, around, and dripping off that would make some sense.

For the video, it would probably help to take the front plastics off. You'd get a lot better view of the top of the motor to see if the oil is coming from up there.....and a lot better light on everything for the camera.

For your own sake, I would ask the mechanic exactly what he did to repair your quad...even if you don't necessarily understand what he's referring to). If you can relay it to us and we find that the oil leak is coming from an area that he worked on and you can show him that with the video or some pictures, I would expect that any reputable mechanic would fix it for free and you'd be off the hook. If it's something that he didn't have to mess with, you're still stuck doing it on your own but at least you would know he didn't screw it up. And the next time something goes wrong you won't have to find a new mechanic or be concerned about his work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow guys, now the thing won't even accelerate. I took it out for a ride to see if the leak got better/worse, and all of a sudden it stalled when I was in low gear turning around in the road. It started back up again after it sat for like 5 minutes, and it idled fine. BUT, when I pushed the throttle in, it sounded/felt normal for a second or two, and then it started to "bog" out. If I let my finger off the throttle, it went back to a perfect idle.

This problem still persists. However, I filled it up to the top w/high octane gas and added some "Star Tron Fuel Enzyme Treatment" and let it idle for a while. As a result, the quad will take SOME throttle for a second or two more, but then it does the same thing again-bogs out. If I don't let my finger off the throttle, the quad stalls. As soon as I take my finger off, it goes back to perfect idle and everything is hunky dory.:confused::mad::pissed::lame::cheers:<<what i feel like doing now!!!!!!!!

PS: Can I attach videos to my posts? I didn't see any video extensions under the valid file extensions?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Uhg sounds kinda likes vavles or could be the carb wasn't worked right when the guy was working on it. yeah it's probably the vavle cover (head cover) seal and It costs around $35 for it

·
Registered
721 Posts
If the cover gasket is bad, it could cause a lack of power, but it shouldn't be throttle dependent. I'm thinking it might be gas afterall. If it was gas dripping this whole time, it would make sense with the current problem. Your carb dumps too mnuch fuel into the engine so it's dripping from the carb holder. pushing the accelerator adds more fuel to it and floods it causing it to bog. The gas could appear somewhat like oil if it was picking up dirt before dripping off. Likewise, if he used some kind of sealer or something that the gas was disolving, it could cause it to appear darker.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Pull the plastics off and the valve cover. Check the valve lash. It sounds as if one of the valves are not seating properly allowing oil to seep into the port. If that is the case then the valve seals are culprit as well. I wouldnt run it any until you can get the valves checked because it can turn into a disasterous issue, like hitting the piston and either putting a hole in the piston or bending the valve which is more likely and possibly wrecking the whole head. See the pic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey everyone, I really appreciate all these replies. With all the support/knowledge on this forum, I feel pretty confident I will be able to get this thing running myself. However, I might have a change in fortune coming my way on Saturday. Someone has offered to buy the quad from me, and they say they are planning to come pick it up on Saturday. We will see if they still want to buy it when they actually see it in person, in all of it's glory:lol:.

I'm going to wait until Saturday to see what happens....if they buy it, I won't have to go through the agonizing process of borrowing my brother's videocamera. I'll keep everyone updated, and thanks again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pull the plastics off and the valve cover. Check the valve lash. It sounds as if one of the valves are not seating properly allowing oil to seep into the port. If that is the case then the valve seals are culprit as well. I wouldnt run it any until you can get the valves checked because it can turn into a disasterous issue, like hitting the piston and either putting a hole in the piston or bending the valve which is more likely and possibly wrecking the whole head. See the pic.

:(that picture makes my heart sink....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts