Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am new on here and just looking to possibly get some help with this old bayou I got.

So full story...
Got this quad from my brother, hadn't ran in many years. So it needed the usual carb/ fuel intake cleaning. I put a new airbox on it since it didn't come with one/ new spark plug /and battery. Electric start would not work when I turned the key but it did start for me with the pull start. Didn't run very clean, it back fired lots and didn't like to idle very well, but I was able to get it to idle a bit .

So I figured great success 馃檶 and I started really getting into replacing things and trying to get the elec. Start to work.
I started with the starter relay.then installed a new main fuse since it didn't have one. then a new stator since the wiring was done for on it. New cdi, New rectifier ( wires going into the rectifier harness were melting).
I have checked all my grounds on the machines a couple times.
So I found that my nuetral safety switch was not working by process of elimination.

I did not want to have to remove everything to get the switch and read that you can bypass it. With an Interuptor switch ( so I attached the green lead wiring coming from the nuetral safety switch and another wire grounded to my frame.) And now my nuetral light comes on and with allow everything to start spinning.

But I still do not have a spark, so I replaced the new spark plug I just bought with another new one also replaced my ignition coil with a new caltrec heavy duty one. Still nothing.

So I guess I'm wondering if anyone els has had success with the bypass switch or if I should just stop being lazy and tear into this thing and replace the safety nuetral switch.
Or maybe something els is the issue and I'm missing it.
Please help if possibly all comments and or questions are welcomed

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cdi is a ebay find, not very good quality..but I'm not super convinced that the cdi was the issue. Is there ways to test them without bringthem in?

Registered
check your pickup coil resistance (bl and bk wires)
make sure the clearance between it and the stator is a double or triple folded piece of paper thick

your Green/white and Yello/red wires to the ignition coil go to a connector, make sure the connection there is good.
check if you get voltage at that connection (disconnect and plug your meter there, try and start it and see if you get any values)

do you have a service manual? the elec schematics is very clear and easy to follow. it is possible your neutral switch bypass is messing something up.

there is a section on testing the CDI,
it is basically a chart with a bunch of values you have to unhook it from the circuit and test it with a multimeter.

I can send you the service manual if you need it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay ill give that a go right away here (just trying to get through my hunter trainer course this morning) and let you know what I come up. I do have a haynes service manual.Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts