Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

92 bayou 220 blowing fuse issue

21K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Mainlander 
#1 ·
I just picked it up and it runs and drives. Pull start works but trying to get push start to work. Here's what happens

1) I put new battery in fully charged.
2) I connect the battery, it sparks and the 20a fuse blows instantly.
3) I change the fuse and pops right away.
4) checked starter relay to make sure it's correct. No issue.

Help! Could the relay be bad?

#4 ·
Just to clarify a bit more. The are no lights working. Including headlights, taillights and neutral light and push start. So it's all the electrics. The fuse on the starter relay(the round silver cylinder with fuse attached)
blows instantly upon connecting battery.

#5 ·
you're probably just going to have to start checking things with a meter till you find the short.
let me tell you a story though... when I first got my bayou I was cleaning the battery cables and noticed 2 plugs running towards the back of the bike. I thought, huh I must've knocked them apart when I was taking out the battery and hooked them together. when I put the battery in, pop! blew a fuse. turned out they were an auxillary power tap and I was shorting them out.

#7 ·
you're probably just going to have to start checking things with a meter till you find the short.
let me tell you a story though... when I first got my bayou I was cleaning the battery cables and noticed 2 plugs running towards the back of the bike. I thought, huh I must've knocked them apart when I was taking out the battery and hooked them together. when I put the battery in, pop! blew a fuse. turned out they were an auxillary power tap and I was shorting them out.

My bike came with those two wires connected and was blowing fuses. I later also discovered that my taillight power wire was shorted to ground somewhere along the frame, and continued to blow a fuse. I diagnosed this by unplugging the headlight switch and probing the wires and applying 12v to each light. To fix it, I ran a new wire from the front of the bike to the rear for just the rear taillights, and all has been well since.

#11 ·
you'll have to isolate each positive wire and see if it connects to ground. easier said than done I know. also check what they're hooked up to to see if they're shorted also. ie, zero resistance. you're about to become super acquainted with its electrical system.

#13 ·
pop fuse

Your bike has an internal short or a positive wire touching a ground. Get a manual- they are available online for $10. They have procedures to verify whether the starter relay, starter motor relay, or rectifier are functional or not. Still, the pos to ground somewhere still seems like the most likely.

My 92 bayou does not crank with elec starter either. Have not solved it yet though it is not blowing fuses. I have a voltage drop somewhere after the relays as I am only getting .5V to the starter motor. Not fun but I am tired of pulling the rope start.

Good hunting.

#18 ·
I know this post is old but I was wondering we are trying to figure out how to connect the battery on our 1993 bayou 220 when we bought the bike used from another individual it did not have the solenoid or the starter relay circuit in it also it did not have a battery... Would you happen to know how to hook everything up under the seat? Pictures would be great I'm kind of illiterate when it comes to the wiring diagrams... This is all new to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.