Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 KLF300 4x4 that I just recently got. After I did the oil and filter change (just about no oil in it when I got it). I noticed a puddle of oil forming rear the back of the bike after about a week of sitting. It's not a fast leak, but it's a steady leak. Today I investigated it, found the oil to be coming from the boot that covers the rear drive/cv shaft. I took the clamps off that and slid it back to find out which end it was coming from, either the rear diff or the bevel housing. After awhile I noticed it coming from the smaller boot that covers the joint on the front of the shaft. The boot is not ripped nor does it have any holes in it. it is leaking out of the smaller end of the boot. Now my question is.......Should there be oil in the boot? I always though cv joints had grease in them. How would fresh engine oil get to the boot? How would I go about fixing this problem? Thanks for the help in advance. I've been racking my brain on this one, been looking through the service manual and looking at schematics online and can't find the answer.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Can you send a pic....I'll try to help you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is a seal in the bell shaped housing attached to the subtransmission that the rear outer boot clamps to. That seal keeps engine oil in the engine and out of the big boot. To replace that seal you have to remove the rear driveshaft, and unscrew the 4 allen head screws that hold the bell shaped housing to the subtransmission. The seal is inside that small housing, and there's an o-ring there you might want to replace as well.

Hope this helps,
Pat

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had the exact same problem and sandman460 is right,its the sub-tranny oil seal..i believe the part # is kaw92049-1309. Wasn't expensive or terribly difficult though there is quite a bit of disassembling to get to it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had the exact same problem and sandman460 is right,its the sub-tranny oil seal..i believe the part # is kaw92049-1309. Wasn't expensive or terribly difficult though there is quite a bit of disassembling to get to it.
How do you get the driveshaft apart or do you just unbolt something to separate the motor and differential?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts