Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 98’ Kawasaki Bayou 220. Fixed the wiring and bought new carburetor. Electric start works and turns over the motor fine but will never start with it. when I pull start it and put my hand over the carb so it gets gas it’ll start and run if i give it throttle. Goes in gear and moves fine but won’t idle and bogs down at about 1/3 throttle. I’m pretty sure it’s wired correct, the key ignition and all works but headlights aren’t hooked up. Just cannot figure out if it’s a carb issue or electrical. The vent hoses from the head seem to be hooked up fine too. Kinda think it could be the cdi so might buy one of those ones off ebay.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Putting your hand over the carb intake side to make it run is a symptom of not getting gas as you have found. It sounds like you have carb issues to start. You should check the voltage drop when your crankingit over as well. May be so low of voltage it wont light off the cdi/coil/plugs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Putting your hand over the carb intake side to make it run is a symptom of not getting gas as you have found. It sounds like you have carb issues to start. You should check the voltage drop when your crankingit over as well. May be so low of voltage it wont light off the cdi/coil/plugs.
that’s what i was thinking with the carb. started it today and it’ll stay running if i hold the throttle but won’t idle for anything. i think it’s definitely both a problem getting gas and something with the wiring maybe. seems like the neutral light dims when i rev it up too

·
Registered
179 Posts
As mentioned Id take a digital volt meter and check the voltage of the system when its running. You should see somewhere in the neighborhood of 13.8 to 14.3 across the battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As mentioned Id take a digital volt meter and check the voltage of the system when its running. You should see somewhere in the neighborhood of 13.8 to 14.3 across the battery.
righttt that’s good to know. I’ll go and pickup one and see about figuring out how to test it all. i got an idea just never done it. i did look over my wiring again and noticed this burnt patch (second photo) in the wiring for the plug for the kill switch and all but I don’t think it’s the issue. also coming from the harness is a stray brown wire that im unsure what it goes to (first photo)
Automotive tire Finger Wood Bumper Bicycle part

Cuisine Ingredient Gas Dish Ashtray

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well I found out it was literally missing the adjuster for the exhaust valve. grabbed one off a Honda and ran just fine. Won’t idle but still revs out just fine. :)
Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle brake Bicycle part

1 - 6 of 6 Posts