Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this machine from my neighbor who passed. He was older and didn't abuse it. Didn't use it much either (probably less than 300 hrs.)
and didn't hardly get it above 3rd gear. He was in his 60's and died at 83.
I've gone thru it and cleaned electrical connections and serviced it: new oil filter, oil, gear oil, air filter, spark plug & battery. Cleaned carb. New non-ethanol fuel.
It'll start and run like a dream. Don't even need to use the choke.
PROBLEM: Battery runs down or won't hold a charge. Have to put it on maintainer overnight. Yesterday, it started right up and I moved it about 100ft. to
clean it up and wash it. After about 3 hrs. the battery was so drained that the neutral light would not come on. I tried to pull start it, but would not even attempt to fire.
Have not been able to start it with the pull starter at all since I've had it. Compression release works. It won't even sputter, like it isn't getting a spark.
Could this indicate a bad stator? I am not good at tracking down electrical problems. Just basic voltage, continuity, grounding.
I found the CDI box, Regulator/Rectifier, Looks like a Starter Relay mounted to the air breather box. Are any of them likely to be my problem?
Also, if I wasn't a retired old guy on fixed income I'd take it to a shop and tell them to fix it.
So, do any of you know of good quality aftermarket sources for the above parts?
The battery is a Diehard Gold TX14AH AGM. It might be bad from the store.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I just need a dependable machine to help me get around and work our homestead.
THX

·
Registered
9 Posts
On these the battery must be charged for the bike to even start and run properly. So pull starting will not work on a dead battery. As far as your battery drain you will need to see what is causing the draw you can try first unplugging the key switch and see if it still dies wait and see… Then you can unplug the voltage regulator and see if it dies. Besides the starter solenoid those are the only 2 things connected to the battery after the fuse.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got this machine from my neighbor who passed. He was older and didn't abuse it. Didn't use it much either (probably less than 300 hrs.)
and didn't hardly get it above 3rd gear. He was in his 60's and died at 83.
I've gone thru it and cleaned electrical connections and serviced it: new oil filter, oil, gear oil, air filter, spark plug & battery. Cleaned carb. New non-ethanol fuel.
It'll start and run like a dream. Don't even need to use the choke.
PROBLEM: Battery runs down or won't hold a charge. Have to put it on maintainer overnight. Yesterday, it started right up and I moved it about 100ft. to
clean it up and wash it. After about 3 hrs. the battery was so drained that the neutral light would not come on. I tried to pull start it, but would not even attempt to fire.
Have not been able to start it with the pull starter at all since I've had it. Compression release works. It won't even sputter, like it isn't getting a spark.
Could this indicate a bad stator? I am not good at tracking down electrical problems. Just basic voltage, continuity, grounding.
I found the CDI box, Regulator/Rectifier, Looks like a Starter Relay mounted to the air breather box. Are any of them likely to be my problem?
Also, if I wasn't a retired old guy on fixed income I'd take it to a shop and tell them to fix it.
So, do any of you know of good quality aftermarket sources for the above parts?
The battery is a Diehard Gold TX14AH AGM. It might be bad from the store.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I just need a dependable machine to help me get around and work our homestead.
THX
Hello. I am finishing rebuilding a 1992 4 x 4 and in my case the battery will not drain overnight but will not charge. If I unplug the stator cable which is a 3 pin of yellow wires, the RPM goes up a bit and the motor runs even better. I mesures all 3 wires with an OHM meter and noticed that I get 0 OHM between any 3 wires and the ground of the battery terminal - post. This indicates that my stator is bad so when I plug it back the RPM goes down because the stator is producing its max 27A and just dissipating inside the wiring. In your case I would take the 30A fuse out and mesure OHMs between the ground post of the battery and the bike side of the fuse holder to make sure that with the ignition key off, you OL or infinite on the meter. If you do see a resistance then unplug the voltage regulator 6 pin connector to see if it goes to infinite like it should. That is a start to see what is going on. Since the 30A fuse is not blowing means that we don’t have a real short to ground so either voltage regulator or maybe lights or other accessories are the cause.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On these the battery must be charged for the bike to even start and run properly. So pull starting will not work on a dead battery. As far as your battery drain you will need to see what is causing the draw you can try first unplugging the key switch and see if it still dies wait and see… Then you can unplug the voltage regulator and see if it dies. Besides the starter solenoid those are the only 2 things connected to the battery after the fuse.
Thx for the info. Still checking things. Has anybody had good results w/aftermarket parts?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts