Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an older Prairie 300 to mount a sprayer on for weed control on my rural property. It generally worked well, but as you drove through the field slowly, the engine suddenly increased in revs so it sounded like it was at the redline. This died down after a while. The first time it happened, I thought maybe a one-off deal. But, it happened again.

I put the ATV aside for a while and used another ATV to spray. After a year of sitting, I decided to refresh the entire fuel system. I cleaned the tank, replaced the shutoff/reserve valve, all fuel tubing and the carburetor, replacement versus rebuild as they are so cheap.

After these fixes, It starts up, but immediately the revs rise very quickly to what sounds like full throttle. I've adjusted the throttle linkage without any improvement. If you can get it in gear, it seems to idle correctly. But the moment you put it in neutral, the revs once again go way up.

Please can someone help me troubleshoot this? I am lucky in the sense that there are couple of ATV/small engine repair places locally to take it to. But, if I can, I like to fix things myself.

PS. I don't know if this is relevant, but I used to own an 80s diesel Rabbit. It would periodically take off with very high revs after you drove it for a while. That was due to bad valve seals. Oil would accumulate in the head then get sucked into the intake manifold.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Im not sure if you have a CV carb or slide type carb. Id have to think the carb slide is going WFO for some reason. If you were to pull the air box or boot to the air box / carb could you verify this is taking place? RE the VW, I cant imagine sucking enough oil thru the guide or seals to cause this. First thought was a run away engine from gas being put in it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.