Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled this front propeller shaft because of torn boot (in pic) and it actually inspects ok for being 18 years old, minor surface rust - joint turns good... So I'm replacing just the boot... Anyway, the service manual says to apply grease to the shaft splines when reinstalling... but what about the u-joint and/or inside the boot... should I pack it with some grease too? (sorry if dumb question) Seems to me that it wouldn't hurt...

Thanks
Thomas

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
The joint in the picture is a U joint and does not require external grease. Only a constant velocity joint would require grease on the outside of the joint. I don't see how it would hurt but I doubt it would help either. I would closely inspect for a grease cert in the u joint and even consider drilling and installing one if there is not already one presant.

That being said, was it easy to remove the shaft? If it was time consuming to remove, I'd consider replacing the shaft just to save myself some time later on. It is 18 years old after all. I've seen lots of U joints that felt fine and had no play come apart a short time later. They don't usually give you much warning before they fail.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That being said, was it easy to remove the shaft? If it was time consuming to remove, I'd consider replacing the shaft just to save myself some time later on. It is 18 years old after all. I've seen lots of U joints that felt fine and had no play come apart a short time later. They don't usually give you much warning before they fail.
OK - thanks. It was very easy to remove - and this is the first 4 wheeler I've owned (wouldn't have bought if I knew what I know now :smile2:).... let's just say I've learned alot...

Thanks
Thomas

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I began to hear a low rumble/grind from underneath and found the torn boot (in 2 pieces)... thats the main reason I pulled it, inspect and replace boot... but it seemed fine and I don't hear it when jacked up in drive or manually turning wheels...

·
Registered
345 Posts
I began to hear a low rumble/grind from underneath and found the torn boot (in 2 pieces)... thats the main reason I pulled it, inspect and replace boot... but it seemed fine and I don't hear it when jacked up in drive or manually turning wheels...
I doubt the torn boot would be the source of any noticeable noise. You likely have another issue. How was the fluid in the front diff? Any play in the front wheel bearings?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya, I'm resolving to that fact... so now I've pulled front and rear propeller shaft so if I have to do it again to inspect that gear box then so be it.... I just hate waiting till a little noise becomes a big noise.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How was the fluid in the front diff? Any play in the front wheel bearings?
When I got it in October I changed diff fluid in front and back... the wheel bearings are ok, actually the steering just a little squirrely (read another post that maybe I need to do some alignment)... the noise is underneath... just not overly apparent... I know the noise because I'm the one that rides it the most... Like, I had a guy come look at it, he rode and said what noise? :). To me it sounds like tread rubbing on a flap, in fact that's what I thought it was at first - I kept trying to look under there when riding to see where tread was hitting somewhere but it wasn't... anyway... may be posting more stuff later if I dig into that...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Make sure the skid plate isnt bent up into the shaft area.

The manual talks about the rib on the boots being parallel to the yoke pin. Page 11-13 in my manual Final Drive.
Install joints so the ribs on both boots align.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Make sure the skid plate isnt bent up into the shaft area.

The manual talks about the rib on the boots being parallel to the yoke pin. Page 11-13 in my manual Final Drive.
Install joints so the ribs on both boots align.

I did notice that in my manual and didn't quite understand at first - but it became apparent when I took the old one off... the boot is shaped special, like a 'groove' for the yoke to fit snugly in... presumably because that entire boot/coupling spin vs spinning inside boot like rear output shaft... anyway... waiting on part - should be here this week...

Thanks All.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I pulled this front propeller shaft because of torn boot (in pic) and it actually inspects ok for being 18 years old, minor surface rust - joint turns good... So I'm replacing just the boot... Anyway, the service manual says to apply grease to the shaft splines when reinstalling... but what about the u-joint and/or inside the boot... should I pack it with some grease too? (sorry if dumb question) Seems to me that it wouldn't hurt...

Thanks
Thomas
How did you remove it I got a buddy that needs a boot replaced

1 - 10 of 10 Posts