Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my totally stock Mule 4010 primarily for transporting horse manure daily from my barn to a dump site. The round trip is 6 miles on a flat asphalt community owned and maintained road. The posted speed limit is 25mph. Most folks drive closer to 30mph.

According to my GPS speedometer my Mule top speed is 23mph, where the speed governor kicks in. I really would like about 5 more mph so I don’t have to pull off onto the rough shoulder as often for cars and other UTVs passing me.

Unplugging the speed sensor wire gives me a top speed of 27 mph. But I am looking at a red EFI light the whole time, low end torque seems much worse, and without a tachometer I worry about over revving and engine damage.

Anyone have any suggestions? I have considered larger diameter tires but clearance issues would likely mean adding a lift kit too. I really do not want the Mule higher because I am in and out (or up and down) around 100 times every day while I am picking up the individual manure piles from the pastures before my run to the collection/disposal site.

·
Registered
Kawasaki Mule 550, KAF-300-C5
57 Posts
Alot of times Kawasaki governs the speed where the motor is doing as little work possible to produce the most torque which is generally about 3600 RPM to 3800 RPM. I would get the engine model number first and see what the RPM ratings are, mine uses an FE290D and it's rated safe up to 4000 RPM.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts