Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey,i just recently picked up a 88 tecate 4..it sounds really strong when it runs.however it pushes a large amount of white smoke.sounds like headgasket?? maybe a dumb question but most of you really sound like you know what your doing with these machines so i thought id ask for some opinions.is there anything else that could cause this that i should be looking into?also,what oil do you recommend using in the trans? i know alot of my friends use yamalube i think its called,wondering what u guys recommend for the kawi..thanks for your help

·
Registered
230 Posts
There are a few things you can check. If you have a blown head gasket it will typically use coolant plus it will create pressure in the cooling system. Try running the bike and pull the coolant cap off see if it blows a ton of excess pressure. If you have a compression guage check that as well. You should have over 150-180 psi with a good head gasket. If its not either of those its possible your clutch side crank seal is bad and your pulling oil from there causing the white smoke. It will usually create a vacume affect if you pull the oil fill plug off while its running. Yes it will spatter oil so have a rag handy when you do it. If the engine revs up or the RPM raises quite a bit the seal is most likely shot. I have also seen the sealant between the cases fail after time where it will pull oil through the case itself. There are many things that can cause what your decribing its just a process or elimination to find out what it is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks alot guys,ill have to play around with it on the weekend and see where i get.i appreciate the help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts