Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I see there are a couple of ways of tuning A/F mixtures. There are gauges and the LM 1 or 2.

Some of you guys are using the LM1. Does that work correctly with duel exhaust? And if so where should the bung be placed to be accurate.

I know it needs a power source. It shows it comes with a lighter plug. What do i need for the V

And since i'm just learning as i go (with a great site and a great bunch of guys) is it user friendly and a good idea for a novice.

I guess i'm a little anal and like things as perfect as they can be and i don't trust anybody where I live to tune my bike right.

Thank you in advance for any feedback. LM

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yes it will work with the duals... You can only tune one at a time with the LM1... i do not own a LM2 but i believe it allows you to tune both at the same time but it is more $$$. For an accurate tune the LM1 works fine for the $. This is what i have and use.

You will need to weld a bung into your exhaust aprox 6-8" from the head. or as close to that deminsion as you can get with everything in the way.

Very simple to use. It will give you a decimal # and you will try to get as close to 12.5 as you can. higher is leaner and lower is richer.

For the 12V source you can go as cheap as a cigrette lighter wired into your battery hanging out of the seat or you can actually mount a water resistant 12V cigrette lighter. Good luck:D

·
Registered
209 Posts
local dealership should have one. i paid $17 ish for mine. nice neat mount with a black rubber plug/cover. looks good.

·
Registered
10,321 Posts
Innovate Motorsports makes a nice LC-1 A/F Meter that you mount on the quad and gives you real time A/F readings. It's small compact and easy to install.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Whats nice about the LM-1 and 2 is you can also do your clutch tuning and see A/F along with engine rpms on a graph. I find it hard to do both at any high speeds with just a gauge. The LM-1 you have to buy the rpm feature seperate but it comes on the LM-2.

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so really no differance between LM1 and your LC 1 when it comes to a/f readings? I guess your logging rpms on your trail tech or do you just need to make sure your at 12.5 at wot

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The LM-1 you have to buy the rpm feature seperate but it comes on the LM-2.[/QUOTE]

Ok understand. on duel exhaust will the LM2 test both at the same time? So two bungs two sensors?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Having both rps and A/F same graph makes tuning a lot easier. Gives a better idea what needs moved such as lean on needles etc. Also nice being able to use for clutching. I posted a graph over in the AMR area toward last page Brute lives thread, shows an example. I would post a link but on cell phone and it sucks.

·
Registered
10,321 Posts
There is a Data port on the Innovate LC-1 that allows you do download your info. I've just never used it.

·
Registered
10,321 Posts
so really no differance between LM1 and your LC 1 when it comes to a/f readings? I guess your logging rpms on your trail tech or do you just need to make sure your at 12.5 at wot
Correct, you can't "Log" what it is doing as far as RPM's, but the Vapor has a high RPM recall feature. The main thing is that the Innovate is on all the time when the motor is running. It's easy to read and gives you valuable tunning info. It is Great if you are running NOS and need to make sure you aren't going lean while on the juice.:D

Autometer makes real time A/F meters that have a recall. With them, you can rerun your WOT run and see what your A/F is doing throughout the entire run.

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
LM-1, Wide band commander 2, LC-1.

they are all good units.

the LM-1 and LC-1 both datalog, the LC-1 is a permanant mount. and has finnicky wiring that you have to shield or get jumpy readings. I have this on my turbo v.

you don't need to wire in a plug for the cig lighter. simply buy a 3.00 piece at Radio shack that has alligator clips on it converted to a female cigarette lighter port. clip it on the battery and go.

tune each cylinder individually, and then you are done and then can sell it and get your money back. it's like a free tune.

John

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like your thinking John. Thanks for all the input. All of you guys. I know what santas bringing me for christmas!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had the cheap cirgette lighter and ended up mounting this one for $17.00.

·
Registered
176 Posts
that looks good and could come in helpfull down the road!

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hell yea! that looks good. Good idea. What circuit did you tie into. And did you put in an inline fuse?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Just hot and a grnd with an inline fuse. really nice for plugging the LM1 into.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts