Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well first i just wanted to say thanks to Krewzlo and Dennis for meeting me up at SILVER LAKES SAND DUNES. So the day started out great, i was kicking ass down on the drag area. There were no fourstrokes that could beat me or even come close for that matter. The kill list goes. -yfz-450,trx-450 with high comp 14-1 stage II cams, ltr-450r, ds-650,QuadZilla .20over, raptor 740r, the list goes on. My 800 wouldnt just beat them it would destroy them to an embarssing matter. Thought i had the fastest quad there untill two drag banshee's with extened swing arms showed up running on alcohol...yep they threw me a nice beating.

This is were my great luck comes into hand, we get back to out trucks to load up for the day and before i loaded mine up, i had to clean the carbs because the slides were sticking open and my quad kept wanting to die out. So i took the carbs off and cleaned them with 110 racing gas because i had no carb cleaner available,put the carbs back on, and either the carbs werent seated correctly on the intake boot or the glue for my ms mod was coming off. Cause when i went to start my quad it back fired and a flame must of came out the ms mod or where the carbs meet the intake boots and lit the excess gas from cleaning my carbs. Now we have a problem.... So Krewzlo being a nice guy informs me of the fire on top of the motor and imediatlly throws his fruitpunch gateraid on the fire. Which then i jumped off the quad and started to throw sand on top of my motor to get the fire that was just getting bigger out. When the flames were finally out, i noticed that during the sand throwing the carbs were majorly knocked off the intake boots and sand had gone into my intake boots. took the intake boots off and looked down into the heads and noticed that of course there was sand sitting on top of the valves. That pretty much wrapped the weekend up.
Took to the heads off to do a inspection and the rear cylinder had a lttle sand sitting on the top of the piston cleaned the hell out of that cylinder and now i have to order some head gaskets up so i can put it back to gether. LUcky the motor wasnot running during this fire and no damage was done, except for some toasted wires.

Krewzlo has some pics of my motor after the fire with all the sand ontop of it.

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
man that sucks.... and i thought i had shizzy luck.. your right there with me... hope all goes well with putting it back together.. id clean the hell out of it..

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh ya, I spent last night and during "DA, BEARS" game i cleaned the hell out of my Carbs, Heads, rear cylinder, and intake boots.

·
Registered
7,434 Posts
oh ya, I spent last night and during "DA, BEARS" game i cleaned the hell out of my Carbs, Heads, rear cylinder, and intake boots. [/b]
no offense but are you sure you don't want to tear down the front cylinder too? you just never know and damn it could be an expensive repair if any sand found it's way in there... :blink:

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<div class='quotemain'> oh ya, I spent last night and during "DA, BEARS" game i cleaned the hell out of my Carbs, Heads, rear cylinder, and intake boots. [/b]
no offense but are you sure you don't want to tear down the front cylinder too? you just never know and damn it could be an expensive repair if any sand found it's way in there... :blink:
[/b][/quote]

I took the front head off and inspected the cylinder... there was nothing.

·
Registered
7,434 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> oh ya, I spent last night and during "DA, BEARS" game i cleaned the hell out of my Carbs, Heads, rear cylinder, and intake boots. [/b]
[/b][/quote]

I took the front head off and inspected the cylinder... there was nothing. [/b][/quote]

OK cool. Sorry about the tough luck but nice job putting the hurt on the non-drag bikes... B)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the front head off and inspected the cylinder... there was nothing. [/quote]

OK cool. Sorry about the tough luck but nice job putting the hurt on the non-drag bikes... B)
[/quote]

Oh man, the feeling you get when you see everybodys facial expression after i smoke there quad is pricless. Especailly when they all think, " that big heavy kfx-700 is slow, how did i loose"

·
Premium Member
11,677 Posts
Geeze, what a bummer but I am glad it wasn't worse.

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
I just got the pics downloaded to my computer but have no way to post them up. If I could email them to someone that would be great if you would put them up here.

It happened so fast we didn't have a chance to do anything else. We didn't realize until after the fire that murdr had a gallon of water in his truck. Luckily it stayed contained cuz it could of turned real bad real fast. I kept thinking of seeing the whole quad burnt to a crisp.

Anyways it was great riding I even beat some of the 450's out there. I wished I would of gotten a pic of when denniz decided to line up next to a buggy that smoked him off the line. Talk about a sand bath!!!

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Yeah it was great when people would come over to us and say "what the hell did you do to those to make them so fast?" It made me feel good when it wasn't just murdr smokin them. I could get alot of them till about half way down the big strip then they would pass me. I don't have a clue how long that one is but I suspect probably 1000 ft? I was running right with a ds 650 and a yfz 450 i think it was. Those two were really close. It does make me want a big bore when all I seen all day was murdr's taillight. :(

Glad everything went well cleaning it up considering how much sand was in the intakes to begin with.

·
Premium Member
16,646 Posts
Here are the pictures from krewzlo.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
NO WAY!!!!I knew I shouldn't have left you two alone!!! :lol: Man That could have gotten really nasty I'm glad no one got hurt and the damage was minimal.Weren't we sayen somethen about that earlier in the day??? :blink:Just make sure you get her runnen good before April 1st so we can do this all over again!!!

Oh and Krewzlo......You thought that SAND BATH was funny huh???The FUNNIEST part was I did it TWICE!!!!OK funny and stupid kinda go hand in hand right???Hey next time we go I promis I'll do it again so you can get a pic!!! :D OH and buy the way you guys wernt laughen when I schooled you on how to wheely!!! :p :D :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Good story...You give an entire new meaning to "lighting a fire under your @$$"... :lol: Sounds like minimal damage for a good day of riding and a good story to share...

Metal...You can video tape your cat for how that "Sand Mod" works... :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts