Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little clip from a ride I did a couple weeks ago:

·
Registered
784 Posts
A little clip from a ride I did a couple weeks ago:
2:40 haha when that guy turned around he was like oh shit what am I gonna do. Poor fella. Why did he stop anyways ?

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2:40 haha when that guy turned around he was like oh shit what am I gonna do. Poor fella. Why did he stop anyways ?
That's exactly what he said to me when I came up to him. I told him he's gotta go back down and hit it with more speed. His little Honda just didn't have the walnuts it needed to go up that really steep and soft sand.

·
Registered
784 Posts
That's exactly what he said to me when I came up to him. I told him he's gotta go back down and hit it with more speed. His little Honda just didn't have the walnuts it needed to go up that really steep and soft sand.
I hope he wasn't by himself

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope he wasn't by himself
No, we rode in together. We knew he might have problems with his Honda, so I went in with 136 feet of tow rope.

·
Registered
784 Posts
No, we rode in together. We knew he might have problems with his Honda, so I went in with 136 feet of tow rope.
Damn 136 feet. Well I hope he did ok afterwards

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn 136 feet. Well I hope he did ok afterwards
Yeah, we got him out. My winch got screwed up pretty bad though. Had the line hop the edge of the drum and tie itself in a knot. Gonna work on that tonight.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Yeah, we got him out. My winch got screwed up pretty bad though. Had the line hop the edge of the drum and tie itself in a knot. Gonna work on that tonight.
How do you like the warn ?

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do you like the warn ?
Truth be told, I hate it. But we'll see how Warn handles the situation. It's obviously a design defect.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Truth be told, I hate it. But we'll see how Warn handles the situation. It's obviously a design defect.
I have a Kfi and never had problums with it. Only used it a few times. I always heard stay away from Warn. They are pretty over priced to.

Reactions: kickstart

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've never rode on the sand without paddle tires before. If you lower the tire pressure down to a few psi, shouldn't that help with traction? I remember taking my Jeep out on the dunes at Little Sahara, OK for the first time and I didn't understand why I kept getting stuck. An older gentleman showed up on a big 4x4 quad (no paddle tires) and told us to "air down the tires." He did this on multiple occasions as he drove by two more times while the rear tires of my Jeep were sunk in. Finally he just walked over and aired down the rear tires and said, "try it now." I pulled right out and rode around the rest of the day and night and never got stuck again. Turns out running tires at highway pressures, at least in a Jeep, won't work on the dunes! Even with BF Goodrich All-Terrain tires and 4WD engaged.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've never rode on the sand without paddle tires before. If you lower the tire pressure down to a few psi, shouldn't that help with traction? I remember taking my Jeep out on the dunes at Little Sahara, OK for the first time and I didn't understand why I kept getting stuck. An older gentleman showed up on a big 4x4 quad (no paddle tires) and told us to "air down the tires." He did this on multiple occasions as he drove by two more times while the rear tires of my Jeep were sunk in. Finally he just walked over and aired down the rear tires and said, "try it now." I pulled right out and rode around the rest of the day and night and never got stuck again. Turns out running tires at highway pressures, at least in a Jeep, won't work on the dunes! Even with BF Goodrich All-Terrain tires and 4WD engaged.
Yes, air down tires for sand, and slickrock crawling. Helps big time.

Reactions: Swanny52
1 - 13 of 13 Posts