Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2003 with a broken shift shaft for 500 they guy said he was in the process of repairing it but lost interest it was in peice it came with extra motor to take the shaft from the kick start was off it so I never got to kick it over but it was in pretty good shape so I took the chance. I changed the shaft no problem but when I put it back to gether it was locked up tight. I started to take the top end apart but when I got the valve cover of everything looked perfect clean and tight with very little wear if any so I stoped there and took the clutch cover back off to make sure it wasnt something I did when I was messing around in there. Everything looked good I took the left side cover of to see if it was anything on that side that side also looked brand new I tried to turn the motor over by hand no luck but when I tried it back wards I turned it back a full cycle. so I tried to kick it over slow with the kick start it turned over smooth until it got to the top of the compresion stage and then it stops dead I tried it back and forth sevral times and it is smoth until it gets to that point the plug is out so it is not compression stoping it. when I go back and forth the piston moves up and down the is no bind or grinding or any sound that shouldnt be there I dont want to have to pull the head off if I dont have too. I dont know what else to look at or do

·
Registered
637 Posts
Your piston may be hitting the valves. I would definately check the timing. Put it at TDC and see if the Valves are in the correct position.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow I never thoght off that I have never work 4 strokes before I think you may be right the exaust cam is off by 2-3 teeth. what would cause it to jump like that and not destroy the piston? maybey someone just put it togeth wrong I will reset the time and see what happens I will let you know.

·
Registered
387 Posts
wow I never thoght off that I have never work 4 strokes before I think you may be right the exaust cam is off by 2-3 teeth. what would cause it to jump like that and not destroy the piston? maybey someone just put it togeth wrong I will reset the time and see what happens I will let you know.
you ill probably need to put new valves in it then cus im sure if it was off then the piston hit the valves

·
Registered
721 Posts
Hopefully the guy you bought it from just put it together wrong. If everything else is as smooth as you've indicated, I would almost bet on it....if the two had made contact while it was running I would expect the valves to be binding, sticking, or just plain broken which you should be able to notice. Let us know if reseting them fixes it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts