Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
had to open up the carbs today and down jet a little because i was running way to rich. down to a 155-160 with the needle on 4th clip

I have a little hesitation when i punch it. will adjusting the needles help this out do i go up with the clip or down with the clip

thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
12,555 Posts
had to open up the carbs today and down jet a little because i was running way to lean. down to a 155-160 with the needle on 4th clip

I have a little hesitation when i punch it. will adjusting the needles help this out do i go up with the clip or down with the clip

thanks guys
Jetting smaller will make you even leaner, not richer.
Putting the clip higher on the needle is leaner, lower on the needle is richer.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it was doing this before i changed the main jets. should i go up on the clip or down on the clip im not sure if my needle is running rich or lean. all i know is that it has slow throttle response and it hesitates when you punch it even punching it to mid throttle.

·
Super Moderator
12,555 Posts
it was doing this before i changed the main jets. should i go up on the clip or down on the clip im not sure if my needle is running rich or lean. all i know is that it has slow throttle response and it hesitates when you punch it even punching it to mid throttle.
It sounds lean. Put the clip lower on the needles.

·
Super Moderator
12,555 Posts
had to open up the carbs today and down jet a little because i was running way to lean. down to a 155-160 with the needle on 4th clip

thanks guys
Jetting smaller will make you even leaner, not richer.
Putting the clip higher on the needle is leaner, lower on the needle is richer.
I'm still a little confused by this. Did you jet it richer or not?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
If it is struggling it is too rich. In our Teryx jet kit we recommend the second position and make sure you have the shims on top of the needles.

Todd

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it was running a rich at full throttle so i leaned it out a bit, went down one jet size front and back. worked good no more hesitating at full throttle anymore but i still get hesitation when i give it throttle. havnt touched the needles yet from the 4th clip like the jet kit told me to do for elevations below 5000 feet. i havnt had the needles out yet so dont even know what im looking at and how the clip works. are the shims supposed to be on top of the needles or is that a mod?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
havnt pulled the plugs yet gonna do that tommorow but my exhaust tip is coated in black soot so im pretty sure she's running rich all around but i could be wrong

·
Super Moderator
12,555 Posts
havnt pulled the plugs yet gonna do that tommorow but my exhaust tip is coated in black soot so im pretty sure she's running rich all around but i could be wrong
If it was rich enough to stumble at WOT, you should try going down anther 1-2 sizes on the main jets. Just going down one size wasn't enough.
Good luck with the Dyna Jet kit; I bought one back in 2002 for my 650 after I started modding it. My results were typical of others that tried it; it was untunable. Maybe they have changed the kit recently to make it usable.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so by raising the needle (lowering the clip) it leans it out?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok so lowering the needle makes it leaner. i've never even seen the clip i didnt install it so i dont know what it looks like. but dropping the needle so it sits deeper in the carbs make it leaner

·
Premium Member
23,817 Posts
it seats into the mainjet circuit. It's really suppose to have no effect at wot.

The further UP you move the clip on the needle the needle seats further into the mainjet circuit thereby allowing less fuel to flow by

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WOT is not affected anymore its getting there thats a problem. it runs really rough until about 3\4 throttle then its fine. gonna try to lean it out first see how it goes then if i have to go richer i will. i found a picture of the needles is my diagram right? View attachment 19182

·
Premium Member
23,817 Posts
correct

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
right on, gonna play with it tommorow. adjusting the needle won't affect my idle will it? it idles awesome right now

·
Premium Member
23,817 Posts
no, the idle circuit is controlled with the pilot jet

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
and thats controlled by the mixure screws?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Mixture screws are just for idle.

If your needles have never been changed then they are not adjustable only aftermarket ones can.

Move your clip on your needles higher by two positions and you should have some shims at least you do a 750 Teryx that should be on top of the needles again this is with aftermarket needles

1 - 20 of 37 Posts