Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday was the first day i really got a full days ride out of the new engine kit and i have to say the power is awesome!until i met up with (brute force's)he is a member on here,raptor 700
his bike and mods are
2006 yamaha raptor 700r
programmer
barker duel exhaust
hot cam stage 2
trinity intake
je 11 to 1 piston

my bike and mods are
2005 v
fst 730
k&n filter
stage 3 cams
stock carbs 3/32 jets
twelve hole mod
epi pink spring(stock clutch)
stock cdi
we went at it a couple of times,once from a dead stop,i had some traction issues and he took me.then we left from a rolling start and i hung with him till he hit third gear and he started to pull on me again.the set up i have right now will never beat him.i need some advice fella's on what spring to try,will a cdi make that much of a difference?what should i try to beat his craptor?...matt

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
You need your clutch done for sure.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
The clutch should be the FIRST thing you should get modified.

And I agree, muzzy exhaust. I might have my Muzzy Pro for sale soon, basically brand new. If you're interested P.M me

·
Registered
930 Posts
The MS mod (upp intakes) are a 4 HP bolt on. I'd do that, then exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
9,446 Posts
My suggestion is to get BIGGER CARBS first! Then do the clutch work, better pipe, etc.

When I first installed my FST 800 kit, I was only mildly impressed with the power....not long afterwards, I installed 36mm carbs and it REALLY woke up the mid-range and upper rpms. Then I was very impressed with the bbk. Keep in mind that mine is 800cc, so I don't know how much the 730cc kit will benefit from the bigger carbs.

Good luck and happy trails...:)

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Unless you're going to make your own crossovers you might as well take that money that you'd spend on the UPP's and put it towards bigger carbs which don't benefit as much from crossover intakes and now you have room to expand.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the tips fella's.i definitaly want to get my clutch done and a cdi.i love the hmf duels but when i talked to mickey he told me to lose them and get a muzzy,like you guys had mentioned.so speed force if i can unload the duels i might take you up on that.i think i would perfer to do the upp's instead of going with the bigger carbs,just because they are alot easier to install for me then tuning a new set of carbs.i am definately not a tuning guru:D

·
Registered
668 Posts
Matt, get the CDI, that Muzzy exhaust Shawn is using and VFJ's clutches, because it woke up Shawn's V-Force in a big way.
Then you might be able to hang with my Raptor.LOL
And by the way, we both did not hook up well off the start.

I have done small mods to my Craptor as of now.
Imagine if I had, the Mega Cycle stage 3 cam because that Hot Cam stage 2 is a joke,,,, 11.5 JE piston, port the head, FCI Intake, the rev limiter delete kit, and the CDI box for my quad, never mind a big bore kit,because you would get spanked even worse.LOL

Man, I am sore and hung over today.

That was some good riding yesterday,Let's do it again soon.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Kfxmatt, look at it this way.

Switching from HMF's to the Muzzy will add, I will say, about 3-5hp, add the intakes, that's another 3-5hp.

You're looking at a great hp gain for the $.

I had HMF's before I went with the muzzy and I can tell you that you're losing somebig power running HMF's and are sacrificing good sound. The muzzy sounds awesome

·
Premium Member
11,525 Posts
Porting and big carbs will take care of the top end.

·
Premium Member
2,440 Posts
Porting and big carbs will take care of the top end.
Matt we were in the same boat. I was never as happy with my 730 with huge port work until I did 36's and UPP with MS Mod. HUGE DIFFERENCE! The Muzzy is definately a better piper, I also had the HMF's.

Keep in mind, that Rappy will still be pretty close to you. Those things haul once you put a piston in them. RPM's buddy Artie gave me a damn hard time until I put the NOS on mine. (Even though I never used it:D:D:D)

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
I would change to a Twinair Power flow, air filter better flow and protection.

·
Premium Member
6,975 Posts
I would get aVFJ clutch and an Orange/Blue spring.

Two 730 stg2 V's raced. Dawg and I. The only difference was tires and clutch. He walked away from me like crazy. It wasn't the tires He had holeshots and I had Alltraks. I got my clutch done and it woke up big time. Like a fresh build again!!! That raptor shouldn't be near you with a stg3 730.

BTW, I run stock cdi, carbs, intakes, and airfilter. All I have is a 6 deg timing key :tup:

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Kfxmatt, look at it this way.

Switching from HMF's to the Muzzy will add, I will say, about 3-5hp, add the intakes, that's another 3-5hp.

You're looking at a great hp gain for the $.

I had HMF's before I went with the muzzy and I can tell you that you're losing somebig power running HMF's and are sacrificing good sound. The muzzy sounds awesome
But the duals LOOK so good! :D

I like my HMF's. There may come a time when I switch to a Muzzy but I am happy now.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks guy's,you gave me some good idea's.the vfj clutch is definately happining after christmas and the orange blue spring i think will be my starting point as far as getting the clutch just right.the thing is when we ride we barely drag race but at the same time i really like to win when the situation arrives:Dtwyztid there is nothing cooler than the look and sound of the hmf's they have been great to me,but i think with the new motor they will be looking for a new home once i can drum up the money for the muzzy.and marshmellow you better get to tuning yourself now that the dog lost the piano on his back:p

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
matt i have an o/b you can try.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts