Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been seeing a lot of stuff about an air box mod and was wandering if it is better to drill the holes or to just take off the lid, any and all advice is welcomed

·
Super Moderator
4,424 Posts
Not on a Brute...unless you are ready to jet up 6+ sizes or install a programer and install a better flowing exhaust system like a Muzzy supper pro. The Brute's airboxs are restrictive on purpose.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not on a Brute...unless you are ready to jet up 6+ sizes or install a programer and install a better flowing exhaust system like a Muzzy supper pro. The Brute's airboxs are restrictive on purpose.
Hey Buddy, I've just got to say'' Nice work . on your Kawie''
just reading the list of Mod's your done bike, so'' where did you get those
over fenders' .

·
Super Moderator
4,424 Posts

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I've been seeing a lot of stuff about an air box mod and was wandering if it is better to drill the holes or to just take off the lid, any and all advice is welcomed
Here's what I did on my Prairie:

Works really well for adjusting performance on trails with lots of elevation change.

·
Super Moderator
4,424 Posts
Those are TPI vents. I actually put two TPI Slide Vents ( the square ones) in the side of my airbox because together, they can make a 3-jet difference. I ride between 5200 and 12,000 feet. I am jetted for between 3900 and 8,000 so I need the adjustment that give when I go over the 8K. They are not water tight though so not a good thing for mudders. I have the slides on the inside so I just pop the top, adjust them as needed, and close it back up.

Here's one side:

and the other side:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ok Guy's , so if I put in one of these TPI Slide Vents, an I normally operate
my kawie at altitude's around 3 to 5.000 ft . Will I still have to rejet'' ??
that's the question .

Thanks WG.

·
Super Moderator
4,424 Posts
Ok Guy's , so if I put in one of these TPI Slide Vents, an I normally operate
my kawie at altitude's around 3 to 5.000 ft . Will I still have to rejet'' ??
that's the question .

Thanks WG.
No. One wide open is equal to 1.5 jet sizes. The stocks are good for sea level to 3900 feet. One size down is good for 3900 - 8000 feet. So right now at 3000 feet you can crack it less the half way and be about right and at 5000 feet all the way and be pretty close.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
NMKawierider is right. Just install and open it up a bit when you go higher. Close when you come back down.

I like to jet slightly rich or in the middle of where I might ride, then use the TPI for higher elevations, and then know I'm still ok if I go down to Phoenix or Vegas where it's much lower---just let it cool off more frequently down there because it might be running a bit lean.

·
Registered
32 Posts
NMKawierider is right. Just install and open it up a bit when you go higher. Close when you come back down.

I like to jet slightly rich or in the middle of where I might ride, then use the TPI for higher elevations, and then know I'm still ok if I go down to Phoenix or Vegas where it's much lower---just let it cool off more frequently down there because it might be running a bit lean.
Thanks Guy's, you two are Awesome, out here around the Mojave desert
my exhaust smells a little rich on start up's, but I also ride around Beatty
NV, But my Kawie originally came from Wyoming . If that has anything to do with it ?

Thanks guy's two thumb's up''.

·
Super Moderator
4,424 Posts
They all come from the factory with sea level jets that work fine up to ..well there start smelling a little rich around 2800 feet and need changed above 3900 feet. Its very likely yours still has the original jets.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hay guys, I was reading this thread and wanted to show off what I did. I made this myself after I saw a picture that gave me the idea. It works great nothing gets inside(yet). I tilted the opening back down and angled the back so I didn't smack the boys on it.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts