Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Ok I have a 05 BF SRA 650 that I recently rebuilt the top end on. When I first finished the rebuild the engine popped, spit, sputtered and had no power. After asking questions and re checking everything I found that the timing was off. I got that corrected at least I think I do.
Ok so I decided to add snorkels, Dynatek CDI and a DYNO jet kit. After everything was accomplished the bike runs like crap. I’ve removed the carbs approximately 10 times changing and trying every combination I can think of. The current combination is as follows: Front carb has a 144 DJ jet, the rear carb has a 146 DJ jet, the pilots are stock 40’s, and the needle clip is currently on the #3 notch and the air screws are at 2.5.
Here is the symptom: at ½ to ¾ throttle the bike falls flat on its face and has a huge dead spot.
I’ve changed the position of the clip on the needle from the # 3 notch to the #5 notch without any significant change.
Here is the funny part, as soon as you remove the air box lid it runs great.
***Note nothing is currently plumbed to the air box whatsoever. No snorkels not even the factory snorkel. It’s as if the bike is starving for air.
What could cause an increased demand for air? Could timing cause this?
Any suggestions are appreciated

·
Registered
151 Posts
Take the DJ kit and throw it in the trash. Your running too rich. Use stock Kehin jets and shim the stock needles. There is a lot of info here just do some research.

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
You are way rich, depending on what elevation you are at you should be in the 120's with dyno jets. 130-140 with keihin jets. Im in the process of trying to get my prairie jetted now with dyno jets.

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
Thats what the instructions say but mine was way rich, im down to 120 and 124 and its still a little rich....this is with a a/f meter of course

1 - 6 of 6 Posts